Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1984 views

Using DNS names in login script mappings

We've been using DNS names in login script mappings without any problems for
several years. Netware 6.5 sp7.

ex: map r: = testserver.mtg.edu/sys:home/test

We also have SLP configured (scoped) - works great for the mappings that use
SLP.

However -- a few days ago, our primary Microsoft DNS server went down -
which was 1st in the list of available DNS servers. Our DNS mappings
started to fail with "unknown server" and 8884 errors. We had 3 other DNS
servers defined as "backup" --- but it appears that the login script only
used the first server, and when it wasn't available - failed the mapping
with 8884..

Note: We could still ping the Netware servers using their DNS and IP
addresses that listed as 8884 after the login script failed all of its drive
mappings. You could even map to them using their NDS names -- just not the
DNS names when the 1st DNS server was down.

To resolve this we had to remove the failed server from the list of
available DNS servers, thus making the second DNS server the first one (the
second one was also a Microsoft DNS server). Once we did this, we were
back in business - no failed mappings.

Any ideas on why this would be? It doesn't seem quite right to us that the
login script would stop and fail the mapping, rather than move on to the
next DNS server. ???

Thank you.
John


Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Using DNS names in login script mappings

Was the first DNS server completely down, or was it just broken?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Using DNS names in login script mappings

Initially it was "broke" -- ie: someone applied Windows Updates and the
server hung coming down and they were waiting to see if it would come out of
it. We were not aware of the situation with the primary DNS server until
users started to call with 8884 errors.

At that point (they had waited over an hour) - they rebooted the DNS server
but the server wouldn't boot back up. At that point we had them unplug the
server from the network. We had a user try to login again -- but same
results. We didn't wait too long after that as we were being flooded with
calls -- so we removed the failed DNS server from the list being given out
by DHCP and had users to a ipconfig /release and an ipconfig /renew. This
seemed to work.

Curious -- are you thinking that its due to the fact that the server was not
really up, but online? If thats the case, after we unplugged the failed
server - maybe we should have waited longer before we drastically removed
the server from the ip configuration. ?

Sidenote -- we were told that this is the second Microsoft DNS server that
they ran Windows Updates on (Windows 2008) -- and its the second one that
now won't boot - even though it appears that the patches go on just fine.
Interesting.

Regards,
John
"Marcel Cox" <Marcel_Cox@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:Marcel_Cox.42s90n@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Was the first DNS server completely down, or was it just broken?
>
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Marcel_Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=394990
>



0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Using DNS names in login script mappings

John Smith wrote:

>Curious -- are you thinking that its due to the fact that the server was
>not really up, but online? If thats the case, after we unplugged the
>failed server - maybe we should have waited longer before we drastically
>removed the server from the ip configuration. ?


I was more thinking along that line that the DNS service was still
reposding but without valid data.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Using DNS names in login script mappings

Now that you mention that -- its very possible that was going on. Thank
you for the tip. When they bring up the primary DNS server today to start
troubleshooting it -- it will come in handy.

Thanks!
John

"Marcel Cox" <Marcel_Cox@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:3qouu6-l24.ln1@ubuntu.cie.etat.lu...
> John Smith wrote:
>
>>Curious -- are you thinking that its due to the fact that the server was
>>not really up, but online? If thats the case, after we unplugged the
>>failed server - maybe we should have waited longer before we drastically
>>removed the server from the ip configuration. ?

>
> I was more thinking along that line that the DNS service was still
> reposding but without valid data.
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.