Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Veeam or SEP sesam?

Jump to solution

I have a Barracuda Backup Appliance.  It does file level backup of OES.  I am using GWDR for GroupWise backup and have never tried using my Barracuda with GW, so I can't speak to that.  But I've been happy with the Barracuda for everything else.  I am currently on OES 2018 SP1 and backups run fine.

Thanks for sharing about Unitrends.  I had been approached by them.  I wasn't looking to change from Barracuda, but always like hearing about options.  Saves me the trouble of pursuing anything with them now.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

By now Veeam has filelevel agents for Windows and Linux, with the latter one you can backup NSS volumes (while not natively via SMS, you'd have to use "/ListXattrNWMetadata" and "/CtimeIsMetadataModTime"). For GW you'd have to "dbcopy" first. But as you neither have VMWare nor the funny MS Hypervisor you'd forgo exactly what makes Veeam so strong, so in this offset i wouldn't consider it a good option.

Sesam would perfectly cover an OES environment. It can also backup KVM VMs, but i don't know whether (and would rather doubt that) it plays with Scale. You might want to drop them a mail and ask. I have VMWare all over and my "knowledge" of other hypervisors  is limited at best.

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Veeam is also file level backup, even for oes2018sp2

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies! I'd like to stick with an appliance type machine over having to maintain another machine that would need built (SEP). You think MF would have any recommendations? Partnerships?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

@twslex3 

Thanks for the link. I found the presentation to be quite informative.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.