Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Veeam: restore NSS trustee rights?

Jump to solution

From what I have been able to determine, one can do file level restores from an NSS volume but Veeam does not restore trustee rights.

If you are using Veeam, what workarounds do you use to circumvent this limitation?

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

This one

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/platform_support.html?ver=95u4

claims support starting 9.5u4a. Never tried that, though. Using SEP Sesam whereever possible.

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

This one

claims support starting 9.5u4a. Never tried that, though. Using SEP Sesam whereever possible.

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@mathiasbraun wrote:

This one

I did search the Veeam site before I posted but missed that. Thank you.

For others reading this thread, the key point from Mathias's link is this.

File-level restore is supported for Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server (Micro Focus OES). Micro Focus NetWare is not supported (Veeam Backup & Replication may fail to detect NSS volumes).

AD-enabled NSS volumes on Open Enterprise Server 2015 are supported. Restore of NSS file/folder permissions is not supported.

Note: Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4a, restore of NSS trustee rights on files/folders is supported.

That's good news.

I work with Small Businesses. I'm glad to see that vendors are now providing Small Business editions of their products at prices that a small business can afford. One of those vendors is SEP. This the other vendor I am considering although I am a lot less familiar with their products than I am with those from Veeam. It will be an interesting couple of weeks as I do my research...

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Hi Kevin,

Catalogic DPX is another option that works great for SMB to Enterprise accounts. It has full support for NSS volumes running on OES and does single file restores with trustee rights in tact. Please email me at **PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED** if you'd like more info. I used to work for SEP and am now a distributor for Catalogic DPX. I'd be happy to show you a demo, answer any questions you may have and/or help you engage with your end users who are looking for a solution. I don't mean to be "salesy" on a technical forum, but there are very limited options (three) that actually restore trustee rights and officially support it, so I wanted to give you another option.

Also, I just got off the phone with a Veeam engineer. I've been trying to get to the bottom of their actual capabilities for some time. The engineer I spoke with said single file restore from an NSS volume with trustee rights was added to their 9.5 4a update, but it is still not "officially" supported, meaning that if your end user calls support because it is not working, they will tell them it is not supported. He said at this point, it's only "community supported," meaning that it "should work" and there "may be" work arounds required. If your customer needs support because it isn't working, they can go get support from the "user community on the forums," but not through their support contract with Veeam. The Veeam engineer also said it is not on the roadmap to validate and officially support. Until it is officially supported, I won't feel comfortable selling it to my customers who need single file NSS volume restores with trustee rights.

Kind regards,

Lanai

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.