Highlighted
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Volume and Pool objects are unknown (yellow circle)

We had a SAN crash on Wednesday that caused corruption on all 7 of our OES servers. In the process of getting everything healthy I had to remove and reinstall 2 of the servers from eDirectory. In doing so both the volume and pool objects are yellow circles indicating unknown objects. The NSS volumes themselves mount fine in OES, but login scripts that map drives are not functional for those servers.

Couple of questions:
1. Is the fix as easy as 'update NDS' in NSSMU for both the pool and the volume? When I do so it asks me if I want to remove the old ones and create new ones.
2. NSSMU doesn't have anything for the SYS volume, which is an NCP volume. Is there a method to restore the volume/pool objects for this volume as well?

This server is OES 11/SLES11.1

Thanks for any assistance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Volume and Pool objects are unknown (yellow circle)

Update: I tried to use NSSMU to read the volume/pool objects by pressing F4 to refresh NDS:

"NDS already contains an object name
hpssupt1_VOL1POOL_POOL at the selected context.
Do you want to delete the old NDS object and
re-add a new NDS object?"

When I click (Y)es to delete, I get "Error -601: Error adding pool VOL1POOL to NDS"

Similar question and result with the VOL1 volume.

"NDS already contains an object name
hpssupt1_VOL1 at the selected context. Do
you want to delete the old NDS object and
re-add a new NDS object?"

(Y)es gives: "Error -601: Error adding volume to NDS"

Still haven't figured anything out with the SYS volume as it doesn't show up in NSSMU.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

in OES Linux SYS is a plain NCP volume (as opposed to a NSS volume). consequently, there's no corresponding pool object and it doesn't show up in NSSMU. so everything's fine as for this.
if you remove a NCP server object from the tree it's volume objects will go "unknown" as the "volume" class has "host server" as a mandatory attribute. if you remove / replace the volume object you'll invalidate things which reference the volume object's id, such as home directory assignments. please think of this before proceeding as there are (pretty complicated) ways to "repair" an unknown volume object by adding the missing mandatory attribute and mutating the "unknown" back to the volume class.
if you don't care about all this and really agree to delete and readd the object:
check that NDS is syncing properly, delete the unknown object manually and trigger the F4 show afterwards.
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I took a chance on a non-production server and deleted the unknown objects to try to recreate them. I did notice I lost the home dir attribute on the user objects. However when I hit F4 in NSSMU I got "Error -601: Error adding pool VOL1POOL to NDS" and it will not create.

I'd rather not have to re-populate the home dir attributes but if that's easier than trying to recreate the objects I'm ok with it. Right now though, it seems like deleteing the unknown and using NSSMU to recreate doesn't work either.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

as for the homedir attributes, you can easily export them via ldap and readd them after everything's in shape.
if you're entitled to open a SR: with dsdump it's a no-brainer to fix the relationships.
if you want to go a rather manual way: nssmu by default takes the identity of a userobject called "servernameadmin", so if the box in question is named "server1" look for an object called "server1admin" in the context of the server. this object should have inheritable supervisory rights to the servercontext. if the rights are missing -> readd them. if the object itself is missing -> rerun the nss configuration dialog in yast -> oes configuration. and please remember to export the homedir attributes as the very first step.
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mathiasbraun;2473449 wrote:
as for the homedir attributes, you can easily export them via ldap and readd them after everything's in shape.
if you're entitled to open a SR: with dsdump it's a no-brainer to fix the relationships.
if you want to go a rather manual way: nssmu by default takes the identity of a userobject called "servernameadmin", so if the box in question is named "server1" look for an object called "server1admin" in the context of the server. this object should have inheritable supervisory rights to the servercontext. if the rights are missing -> readd them. if the object itself is missing -> rerun the nss configuration dialog in yast -> oes configuration. and please remember to export the homedir attributes as the very first step.

This process worked on my non-production server - the admin user was missing. After re-running nss configuration in yast on one of the production servers I was able to recreate the pool object, but in recreating the volume object I get "Error -765: -765 Error converting GUID to name". In this case I have not manually deleted the unknown volume objects, is that the problem here?

Thanks.

Dan
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mathiasbraun;2473449 wrote:

I found this knowledgebase article that may be related, but when I run online updates, there are no patches available so I'm not sure what patch level this box is at.

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

there's been a similar issue AGES ago, with "ages" meaning somewhat 5 years. hopefully you're not running code outdated like this. "ndsstat" will give you a "binary version", the latter will help us identifying your codebase. also have a look at "/etc/SuSE-release" and "/etc/novell-release".
IIRC the "F4" process did proceed with the buggy code once the unknown objects had been deleted, so while i'd still opt for mutating the object back to "volume / resource / top" you might want to proceed on that road at the cost of losing associations.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

see my post above. either the box is already ahead of the buggy code or it's not registered properly. forgot to ask: do you use DFS?
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The code is old - SLES11sp1/OES11

Binary Version: 20705.00
Root Most Entry Depth: -1
Product Version: eDirectory for Linux x86_64 v8.8 SP7 [DS]

So you're saying if I go ahead and delete the volume object, NSSMU will recreate it fine after that? I just opened a service request with Novell, waiting on chat window, but perhaps trying the removal will be faster? I didn't want to remove the volume object until I was sure it wouldn't do any further damage either way.

Thanks.
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do not use DFS
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

hmm. try to get hold of an older engineer, i.e. someone who's older than the code he's working on. otherwise there could be too much respect to touch it 🙂
as you have a call open anyway, i'd recommend to wait a little and let the engineer just relink the object which is really not a big deal (and as mentioned could also be done (in a slightly more tricky way) without NTS). this way you'll keep all your volume references intact.
if you absolutely can't wait any longer: by deleting the object you'll lose everything which references the objectID of the volume's DS object, e.g. homedir assigments. as mentioned you can easily export these references before and reimport them once the objects are recreated. depending on your offset there might be other stuff referencing the volume object, but you won't lose the volume's data on deleting it's DS object.
0 Likes
dlietz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Strangely, they used NSSMU to remove and recreate the volume. I'm not sure why it worked for them and not for me, but they did update the pool object a second time and somehow the volume object updated after that. Kind of irritating when it's that easy - makes me feel like a wasted a service request....

I'll have to re-import the home directories from my backup, but that's ok. The drive mappings are working now, using the CN so all is well.

Thanks for the assistance, it is much appreciated.

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

strange. i had expected them to relink and mutate the unknown object. anyway, as long as you're back to business...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.