Highlighted
John Goutbeck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VolumeMediaFormat upgrade for volume failed. Status 20888

Hello All;

I have 2 x OES 11 SP2 with NCS servers with the latest updates. These servers are virtuialized on a SLES 11 SP3 with KVM

Following the Docs on putting DHCP on a NCS with NSS volumes
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/ntwk_dnsdhcp_lx/data/bbe81cc.html
Installing and Configuring a Cluster 8.3.3
Step 9

----
9. To hardlink, enable the shared volume on which the dhcpd.conf and dhcpd.leases files are hosted eg.DHCPVOL.

Invoke nsscon in the linux terminal and execute the following commands:

/ZLSSUpgradeCurrentVolumeMediaFormat=VolName
/hardlinks=VolName

----
in doing the first command, I receive
----
nss /ZLSSUpgradeCurrentVolumeMediaFormat=VOL1
VolumeMediaFormat upgrade for volume "VOL1" failed. Status = 20888.
----

The second command states the first command must be done.
nss /hardlinks=Vol1
Hardlinks may not be created on volume "vol1" until it is upgraded using the "ZLSSUpgradeCurrentVolumeMediaFormat" command...

----

I can offline, online, migrate the pool (with a single volume) between the 2 servers with no issues.

I have checked the nss and ncs modules on the 2 SLES 11 SP3 servers and they are exactly the same.

using nsscon, I can see the _ADMIN and VOL1 volumes. The _ADMIN has the hardlink attribute. So why does VOl1 not upgrade the media format? And what must be done to make this command work?

----

I cannot continue until this step is fully completed.

Thank you.
hello
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
changju Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: VolumeMediaFormat upgrade for volume failed. Status 208

>>> So why does VOl1 not upgrade the media format?

Because we believe there is still a node is not fully upgraded to OES11 SP2. Volume upgrade cannot proceed until all nodes are capable of understanding the new media format.

>>> And what must be done to make this command work?

1. Run "sbdutil -v" on one node to check SBD signatures of all nodes.

The signature for all slots should be

"SBD*"

If some of them have "SBD+" (or other signatures), that's the cause of the problem.

2. Make sure those nodes are really on OES11 SP2, or no longer a participant of the cluster.

3. Run command "sbdutil -i" on one of the nodes to update all signatures.

You can do all of the above while NCS is running. You can now try to upgrade the volume without restarting anything.

Best regards,

Changju
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.