UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ways to access corrupted NSS VHD?

I have a virutal server in Hyper-V which was recently rebooted and on reboot it was pretty obvious that there was something wrong with the NSS hard drive. The server would boot up but after a few minutes it would freeze up and Hyper-V would no longer display the server's IP address in the Server's Network information tab.

Come to find out with some troubleshooting, once the NSS services started up the server's problems would begin. I tested this theory by disabling the storage VHD and the server came up and stayed up without any issue. I then created a new VHD, reattached it to OES and restored the data from backup.

Now I'm finding out that there were a couple of folders important folders that were not a part of the system's backup. I inherited this system and it has pretty much been a piecemeal system when it comes to learning how the previous person set things up. So now I'm looking for a way to try to reconnect tot he original VHD that seems to make the server want to crash so I can copy a couple of directories over to the new VHD. Does anyone have any good suggestions for accomplishing this if it is possible?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

On 15.01.2018 22:56, marklar23 wrote:
> Now I'm finding out that there were a couple of folders important
> folders that were not a part of the system's backup. I inherited this
> system and it has pretty much been a piecemeal system when it comes to
> learning how the previous person set things up. So now I'm looking for
> a way to try to reconnect tot he original VHD that seems to make the
> server want to crash so I can copy a couple of directories over to the
> new VHD. Does anyone have any good suggestions for accomplishing this
> if it is possible?

You can for instance install a new temporary OES server and attach the
VHD to that. When the temp box is in the same tree, you even get all the
trustees with you.

Oh, and of course you could/should run a poolrebuild on the drive.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mrosen;2473572 wrote:
Hi.

On 15.01.2018 22:56, marklar23 wrote:
> Now I'm finding out that there were a couple of folders important
> folders that were not a part of the system's backup. I inherited this
> system and it has pretty much been a piecemeal system when it comes to
> learning how the previous person set things up. So now I'm looking for
> a way to try to reconnect tot he original VHD that seems to make the
> server want to crash so I can copy a couple of directories over to the
> new VHD. Does anyone have any good suggestions for accomplishing this
> if it is possible?

You can for instance install a new temporary OES server and attach the
VHD to that. When the temp box is in the same tree, you even get all the
trustees with you.

Oh, and of course you could/should run a poolrebuild on the drive.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!

I gave that a try and it doesn't work. As soon as the NSS service starts up the server seizes up. I found this out by getting a Putty session working to monitor the startup log and as soon as NSS starts the server locks up. I even tried to disable NSS in that brief window and haven't been successful.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

- detach the vdisk
- clone it
- boot the box and
- add /poolautodeactivate=all to /etc/opt/novell/nss/nssstart.cfg
- down the box, reattach the vdisk, boot
- try a rebuild

while i'd rather doubt that you'll be able to recover stuff it's still worth a try...
If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.