UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What OES2 LDAP server to use on SLES server with Master Rep

We initially had a NetWare server that held the master replicas for our eDirectory partitions so that when we started building Linux OES2 servers, we pointed them to that server in nam.conf. We have removed the NetWare server and now have all the SLES OES2 servers pointing to the SLES server with the Master eDir partition, however, that server still is pointing to the old (non-existent) NetWare server. Where should it look for the 'preferred server'? Itself or one of the other servers that holds a replica of the eDir partition?

Thanks,

Dan
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Itself is probably the best bet. Obviously you trust this box to be
reliable since it's the place to which other boxes are pointed.

It may be worthwhile to start moving systems to a DNS entry that can
easily be pointed from one box to another in case of a failure of any
single box. not required at this point but it mitigates risk overall for
your environment in case anything breaks.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. The DNS idea is really a good idea. I'll implement that. I guess I am confused as to exactly what the purpose of the LDAP connection is for. I thought it was for a server that was booting up to talk to another server that was already in the eDir tree and was running but if I point it to itself, eDir is just starting up during boot so what is the use?

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

nam.conf is the configuration file for namcd, the NAM Caching Daemon. This
is the daemon behind Linux User Management (LUM) which provides the
Linux/OES integration of eDirectory users. While eDirectory holds all of
those users physically, the server itself does not have (in its
/etc/passwd file) an 'admin', and a 'dchunt', and all of those
necessarily, but LUM makes it possible for those users to show up as Linux
users for things like logins, file permissions, etc.

--
Good luck.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK so I see why having this working would be necessary for LUM but it appears it is also necessary for NSS volumes to mount. Why would that be?

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

I'm pretty sure NSS relies on LUM. I wouldn't bet anything significant on
it, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

--
Good luck.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.