Highlighted
John_Gill Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

When an OES server is shutdown, users lose network login

Hi,

Running 4 OES servers (2 physical, 2 VM's with SuSE 11.4 & 12.2 and OES 15.1 & 18) ... I know it is a mixture.

Physical server1 is Groupwise, physical server 2 is user Data (H:) and the two VMs are DNS/DHCP. If I restart a server quickly all is good, but if the server is down for longer than a few minutes, everyone loses their connection to the  Data server and need to login again ...

EDir and Timesync is 100%, replica rings are correct...everything looks good...!

So now looking for weird, wonderful or outrageous suggestions or comments.

Regards

John

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: When an OES server is shutdown, users lose network login

Hi John,  I think we need a bit more to understand the issue

if which server goes down?

do all servers have all replicas?

are all servers on the same subnet as the endusers?

how long is the DHCP leases for?

SLPDAs??

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@John_Gill wrote:

If I restart a server quickly all is good, but if the server is down for longer than a few minutes, everyone loses their connection to the  Data server and need to login again ...

Regards

John

Hi John,

To add to what Andy has asked, when a user is logged in does s/he have connections to all four servers? Is their anything odd about the way the Tree/Context/Server is specified in the OES Client when s/he logs on?

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

And in addition, please elaborate on "loses their connection". What exactly happens? Do the drive mappings vanish?

Generally speaking, there are only two options for your scenario:

1. Connection loss, aka the client can genuinely no longer reach the server it is trying to talk to.

2. No more connection to any eDirectory replica holding the necessary objects. 

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi everyone,

Ok, all the servers (Windows, SuSE and OES) are in the 10.1.3.x network and the users on 10.1.1.x (local) and 45 other remote LANS.  The OES and Linux servers have hard-coded IP addresses.

There are no logins to the GW and DNS/DHCP servers.  Users login to the DATA server and have a mapping to H: and Z: drives. This is a plain and simple network. Users do authenticate via LDAP and all OES server have LDAP enabled.

The tree structure is a container for user and data, then a container for the DNS/DHCP stuff and a containers for the GW stuff.

There are less than 500 users, but only about 250 users login to the network but all 500 use GW. 

If I shut down either of the DNS/DHCP servers (2 x VMs) or the GW server, then user mappings to H: and Z: get a big red cross and the connection is lost.  If the user then "right-clicks" on the OES client in the "System Tray" they are able to re-login. 

I am able to ping the (faulty) server and all processes etc are still running.

Regards

John

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

To start, this is so far still fully unexplainable, and the fact that they can relogin after losing the drive mappings makes it even more mysterious.
But we first need to get some technical details straight. Drive mappings and authentication to OES services do not need nor use LDAP. They use NCP. Your groupwise logins may or may not use LDAP, but they are not the topic here.

What OES Client are you using (shouldn't matter, but hey...)

I think from here on, the next we need is a lan trace.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

All users have Windows 8 or 10 with the correct client.  My Windows10 PC has "Client for Open Enterprise Server 2SP4 (IR8a)" and I login as myself with full admin access.  All users login via "LDAP contextless login". 

I cannot do a LAN trace until tonight or the weekend as it could otherwise cause a huge disruption to work and I don't want to deal with "wrath of the users" when systems are down .... (you know what I mean).

There are no firewalls etc blocking/stopping traffic.  If I stop and start other services/servers like "Web Mail", "Groupwise Mobility", "Retain" etc then there are no issues.  eDir is health and working as expected....

Confused..

John

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, you could try a newer client (current is SP4 ir12), but I sort of doubt that will change a thing.

Yet again, even with contextless login enabled, LDAP is only used to *once* to find the context of a user (vs having to manually enter it). It plays no role in the login process itself nor at any point else after the login has happened.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

Although I have had this issue for nearly 12 month, I recently (2 weeks ago) broke my upgrade of the secondary DNS server.  I had to log a support call for an engineer to fix eDir.  He did complete this and eDir is 100% and he said he could see nothing strange/different on the network. 

So, I do not believe this to be a eDir / LDAP issue (but I have been wrong often) ... This is quiet network with mostly password changes and an occasional a change to user rights.  

Even more confused ...

John

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.