Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
rwunderer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Why can an encrypted iFolder not be shared?

Hi.

While evaluating iFolder I just found out that it is not possible to share an iFolder with other users when the folder has been encrypted.

I managed to trick the Web Admin interface into letting the administrator assign a second user to an encrypted folder, but the second user was not able to open the folder even with the correct passphrase.

Does anybody know why this is the case? Is this a feature, is it necessary by some technical restrictions or is sharing an encrypted folder just something that hasn't been implemented yet?

It seems a shame that two of the most important features - sharing folders and encryption - will not work together.

TIA
Robert.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
pblouin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Why can an encrypted iFolder not be shared?

Robert,

My understanding is that this is by design. Here's what the Admin Guide says:

"In a corporate environment, enterprise-level data is generally accessible to the IT department, which
in turn can lead to intentional or unintentional access by unauthorized personnel. Because of this,
executives have been hesitant to store some confidential documents on the network.

With encryption support, iFolder ensures higher security for users’ confidential documents by
encrypting them at the client side before transferring them to the server. Data is thus stored
encrypted on the server, and is retrievable only by the user who created that iFolder.

iFolder makes it easier for IT managers to ensure that all of an organization's critical data is
protected on the iFolder servers without involving any significant risks. iFolder also gives Internet
Service Providers (ISPs) the ability to offer a user-trusted backup solution for their customers'
critical business or personal data."

I know that's not much help (or solace) but hopefully it provides some insight. Others on the board might be better able to give an explanation as to the "why."

Paul
0 Likes
rwunderer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Paul,

pblouin;2102162 wrote:

My understanding is that this is by design.

thank you for your reply. At least this gives some hope that it might be possible to change that behaviour.

In keeping with the text you quoted one could easily see scenarios where shared folder encryption is needed. Eg what about human resources wanting to store some personal files on the server. They wouldn't want everybody in the IT department to peek into sensitive files but at the same time the whole department (or a subset) might need access.

So they would set up an encrypted ifolder where only a few know the passphrase. (Were that possible).

Is there anybody on the forum who knows if addressing such an scenario is planned for the immediate future?

Regards,
Robert.
0 Likes
Highlighted
pblouin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Robert,

Something tells me that you should abandon that hope though, as I said before, I leave it up to the dev types on the board who might have better information to support or dismiss the hope "officially."

Regarding the HR example you mentioned, they obviously could use something else like PGP to encrypt their information. However, it's always best to keep in mind the corporate policies that govern the individual departments and proceed accordingly. Whenever you start talking about any sort of implementation of "shared encryption" you change the landscape immediately. It's one thing to trust yourself (if you can) but another entirely to trust others. 😉

Paul
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.