Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Windows 10 does not always find tree or server during login or map the login script.

Are your clients configured with the SLP-DA and the scope? 

If they aren't told about them, then they hunt a very different way.

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Windows 10 does not always find tree or server during login or map the login script.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but just for the records. In the current (i.e. newer than XP) architecture DHCP clients need their SLP info (DAs, scope, mandatory flag) via DHCP either. Clients configured with static addressing need to have SLP info configured statically. This behaviour is contrary to how the XP client worked (with more sophisticated proprietary code) where e.g. a "static" box could still ask for SLP stuff via DHCP.

0 Likes
xvastx Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Do you have a link to the documentation explaining what options and their values we should be configuring on our Microsoft DHCP server?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Prindl Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

My experince with Windows 10 is, that despite setting anything to wait for the network being fully up, Windows 10 shows you the Logon/Login screen at times where the network is not up or worse if you have a multihomed system, when only a part of the network is up. The latter ( as in almost every laptop with a WLAN card) is a real showstopper, because Windows 10 then resets its network settings to the half up network and mantains that for a period of time ( i neve found out how log that is and where it is specified) even if the rest of the network is fully up 10 seconds later.

My personal solution to this problem is to check the network icon shown on the logon/login screen till I see, that the Network necessary for logon/login is up and immediately afterwards logon I logon/login. But this is far from being good.

0 Likes
iliadmin Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for the reply..and I agree it is far from being good for most people. It is the same as telling them to not immediately login but wait a minute. That's usually about 10 seconds and they go ahead and try and have the problem.  Oh well.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.