Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 7 / Novell Client Account Picture

Can anyone tell me where to find the Novell Picture used when first logging into Windows 7? I like that picture and want to make it the default picture for all profiles when I delpoy 100 or so Windows 7 workstation. Just can't seem to find where that BMP file is.

I have a feeling I will desreve a Gibbs Head Slap for this one...

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows 7 / Novell Client Account Picture

Just let me clarify that I know where to go in the Client Settings to set what image is used, I just can;t seem to find where the graphic of the NoteBook (At least on all the installs I have done) is located at when you select the Novell Login dialog instead of Windows Workstation Only in Windows 7.

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What I attempting to do is provide a consitant look of the login dialog box, whether a user is logging into the network for the first time, local workstation only, or is unlocking the workstation from being locked by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL, resuming from standby/hibernation. I have found a decent looking Novell JPG that I have converted to a BMP to use as the tile for the all users (and I have been able to set this tile as the default for all users created on the local workstation as well as setting as the default in Domain environments - which has achieved my desired result) but I would really like to know where to extract the Novell Tile with the Red N and The Notebook. If that's the default tile for the Novell Client on Windows 7 for all users, then I would really like to set that same tile as the default for all users at the local workstation. I just don't know which resource file has to be edited with a resource editor.

For now I am just using this other tile I have found, but I don't like it as much as the default tile from a default install of the Novell Client for Windows 7.

Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In the novell client properties under advanced login there is a default bitmap setting, you can just put a image locally and point to it there.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Uhm, I know that part, that's not what I am asking for.

>>
Just let me clarify that I know where to go in the Client Settings to set what image is used, I just can't seem to find where the graphic of the NoteBook (At least on all the installs I have done) is located at when you select the Novell Login dialog instead of Windows Workstation Only in Windows 7.
>>

I am asking for "Which file" can I extract the Default Login BMP that is displayed at login time, when no other BMP file is specified in the settings you are referring to, which as I stated previuosly, I already knew.

I have found a Nice Novell Tile to use, but I would really like to use the Novell Tile with the Notebook and the Red N that is displayed by default. I just don't know where it is located.

Thanks anyways!

Dallas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think it is not on the workstation explicitly. The bitmap is probably just embedded into a Novell dll, exe, etc....

Can't you just crop it from here:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/vista_client/vista_client_admin/graphics/credprov_2_a.png
(Find this with google...)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am sure that is where it is, just was hoping that someone knew specifically which file .dll, .exe etc..

Thanks for link to the image. I do not recall seeing that image when I googled previously.

Thanks,

Dallas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dallas;1993789 wrote:
I am sure that is where it is, just was hoping that someone knew specifically which file .dll, .exe etc..

Thanks for link to the image. I do not recall seeing that image when I googled previously.

Thanks,

Dallas

At least it is in:
%WinDir%\system32\nccredprovider.dll

Do you think it would be somehow possible to "inject" and replace the original image in the dll with a custom one?

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

thsundel;1994473 wrote:
At least it is in:
%WinDir%\system32\nccredprovider.dll

Do you think it would be somehow possible to "inject" and replace the original image in the dll with a custom one?

Thomas

Okay this is how to change the login picture:

Download and extract the latest Novell client for W7.

Extracted the login picture from nccredprovider.dll using XN Resource Editor.

Edit the picture with for example your company logo and save it.

"Inject" the picture back into the dll using XN Resource Editor and save the dll.

Replace all nccredprovider.dll in your extracted Novell Client install dir, there should be 3 or 4 nccredprovider.dll under there.

Install/Reinstall the Novell Client on the Windows 7 workstation.

Voila!

I will probably write a CoolSolutions article for this.

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

A few extra steps for people looking to implement the above.....

I edited the nccredprovider.dll using XN Resource Editor as described above only to not end up with my custom login account picture. Here is the reason why....

nccredprovider.dll is found in two places in the Novell client install dir as described, but there is also another file called "nccredproviderR.dll" (notice the extra 'R'). This file is found on your system after the install in %windir%\system32\nls\english (for english language). There is an nccredproviderr.dll for each language, so I imagine you need to modify the one(s) for the install language(s) you will be using. Only after I modified the nccredproviderr.dll, did my custom account picture appear after installing the Novell client. I hope this helps!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.