Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows Vista Client and DFS Junctions

I was reading the feature sets of what will be made available on the Novell Client later this year and I noticed that DFS Junctions (volume level) was not going to be a feature on Windows Vista's client. I would just like to know if this means the management of the DFS junction, or that the workstations will not be able to follow the DFS junction.

We are planning on breaking up our volumes and using DFS so that our users don't know this is happening, but if their workstations will not be able to find its way to the new volume, this will be a problem.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows Vista Client and DFS Junctions

Hi,

I think the reason is that DFS is to be replaced in OES 2, with what's
called 'Shadow volumes'. As I can see this tech goes much futher and
is much more flexible then DFS since it does not need a client be be
aware of junctions. (Shadow) volume handles it themselves. Even backup
software will not be aware that the files are on anotehr volume.
See fe: http://www.novell.com/coolblogs/?p=384

Anyway, when the Tech Preview for the Vista client is available you
can test it and do feedback on it's fuctions. If needed do a enh.
request for the DFS support.
Vista client: http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=yIEJzwGwlu0~

Regards,

Sebastiaan Veld

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:12:35 GMT, "Heath Butler" <HBUTLER2@kumc.edu>
wrote:

>I was reading the feature sets of what will be made available on the Novell Client later this year and I noticed that DFS Junctions (volume level) was not going to be a feature on Windows Vista's client. I would just like to know if this means the management of the DFS junction, or that the workstations will not be able to follow the DFS junction.
>
>We are planning on breaking up our volumes and using DFS so that our users don't know this is happening, but if their workstations will not be able to find its way to the new volume, this will be a problem.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.