Captain
Captain

X Display at OES2018SP2 server broken after last mesa-update

I just ran an Online-Update on one of my OES2018SP2 servers. This contained the update "SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP5-2020-2388 - Recommended update for Mesa" which changes mesa from 18.3.2-14.3.2 to 18.3.2-14.6.1 .

After applying this update the local graphical console is broken. The nice error in the gdm log.x is

LLVM ERROR: inconsistency in registered CommandLine options  

which does not help at all in finding the culprit. I than inspected the updates for changes to the X server environment and found the mesa-update.

Reinstalling the old version for all updated mesa-components and restarting xdm got the graphical console back.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Doesn't seem to be a general one. I'm happily running this build both on both physical and virtual instances.

Which kind of HW do you use?

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Captain
Captain

This server runs on Vmware ESXi 6.7 on HPE ML350 hardware. VM-Version is 13 (ESXi 6.5)  with the Open VM Tools 11301(11.1.5) included in the distribution.

It could be, that my VMware video memory of 24 MB is too small, but I did not have any issue on OES servers with this setting before.

Other software installed is only Groupwise 2018.2.1, Zenworks 2020.1 Agent and SEP sesam backup agent.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

I have e.g. two VMs of HW Rev. 13 and Tools Rev. 11301. They're both configured for 1024x768, one has 8MB video RAM, the other one 16. No issues at all.

Do you by chance have some sort of deprecated "vga=0x..." statement in the kernel loadline?

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

No, I have only "splash=verbose showopts" in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and absoutely no customization of the kernel config. There is furthermore no customization of the X-server config. And 3D-graphics is deactivated in the VM settings.

Probably some remnant of an older version of software, which was not properly cleaned up during some upgrade.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Could you post /etc/default/grub of an affected instance.

(...and why doesn't the forum interface tab completion...)

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Here is the grub file (renamed to grub.txt because of the forum upload filter).

I don't think, that it is a matter of grub as the X-server crashes, even if you don't load it during boot. And the gfxterm is running fine.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

I have just tested it on another VM running on the same server. The mesa-update broke the X-server. I even tried it with 3D-graphics enabled at the virtual hardware graphics card, without any better result.

If I'll find enough time to open a SR, I will do that.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.