Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

YaST OES Install and Configure won't show the configuration

Hi,

I want to add DNS and DHCP to an existing OES2SP1/SLES10SP2 server. Actually I think of moving these services from NetWare to OES/SLES.

iManager DHCP (OES Linux) is complaining about not finding the locator object (works fine for DNS). All the documentation I can find on this points me to reconfigure the services through YaST, OES Install and Configuration. But I never get the OES Configuration window after click on Accept for the software 😞 Window is simply finishes after the Package Installation screen.

How can I get to the OES configuration?

Patrick Frontéri # GroupWiseR of Norway # Active part of the OpenHorizons and NetworkPartners.no Collaboration
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: YaST OES Install and Configure won't show the configuration

On 21.04.2011 14:36, pfronteri wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to add DNS and DHCP to an existing OES2SP1/SLES10SP2 server.
> Actually I think of moving these services from NetWare to OES/SLES.

Before going forward here, you *really* should update your server to
some remotely current level. Actually, I'm not even sure out of my head
if OES2SP2 already had the eDirectory integrated DHCP.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: YaST OES Install and Configure won't show the configurat

mrosen;2099080 wrote:
Before going forward here, you *really* should update your server to
some remotely current level. Actually, I'm not even sure out of my head
if OES2SP2 already had the eDirectory integrated DHCP.

Massimo, yes, OES2SP1 (is what I think you meant to type) has eDir integrated DNS. OES1 Linux did not, but with OES2 it's been there from the get go.

As for not seeing the OES2 pattern package selection (and not being able to configure later on) when going into the OES Install and Configuration... I've seen that a couple of times. From what I remember that was caused by the OES2 server not having access to the update/online repositories anymore. After re-registering the server (and possibly updating the packages) the correct dialog came back.

Note that if that happens when installing OES as add-on, that's possibly because the wrong architecture (x86 or 64bit) was used that did not mach the SLES architecture.

To second Massimo, you should really try and get the server to the latest code base, being SLES 10 SP3 + OES 2 SP3 at this time of writing.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Willem,

On 22.04.2011 18:36, magic31 wrote:
>
> mrosen;2099080 Wrote:
>> Before going forward here, you *really* should update your server to
>> some remotely current level. Actually, I'm not even sure out of my
>> head
>> if OES2SP2 already had the eDirectory integrated DHCP.
>>

>
> Massimo, yes, OES2SP1 (is what I think you meant to type)

Yes, SP2 was a typo.

> has eDir
> integrated DNS.

But we were talking DHCP, not DNS here. 😉

> OES1 Linux did not, but with OES2 it's been there from
> the get go.

That's true for DNS, but not for DHCP. I know for a fact that has been
added after OES2, I just can't recall now if it was in SP1 or SP2.

CU;
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mrosen;2099916 wrote:
Massimo, yes, OES2SP1 (is what I think you meant to type)

Yes, SP2 was a typo.

> has eDir
> integrated DNS.

But we were talking DHCP, not DNS here. 😉

Yes, I did not want to leave you alone with a typo 😛

That's true for DNS, but not for DHCP. I know for a fact that has been
added after OES2, I just can't recall now if it was in SP1 or SP2.

Then it was OES2 SP1, as I don't know differently as it being there with OES2. 🙂
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrading to SLES10 SP3 / OES2 SP2 helped with the OES configuration menu appearing in YaST, and it does include an eDirectory integrated DHCP for Linux - though it does not seem to integrated with the NetWare DHCP configurations....

But after the upgrade I now have another problem with iPrint 😞 The novell-ipsmd will not start automatically when booting :(( The reason seems to be that novell-novfsd won't start. The upgrade had problems downloading 'novell-novfs-kmp-default', complaining about 'fails integrety check' 😞

I can start iPrint manually afterwards, but looks to me it's waiting for some eDirectory/NSS stuff that is slow because of novell-novfsd that won't start. This is a 64-bit server, but I have same problem this package on 32-bits servers after the upgrade 😞

Is there something wrong with this package from Novell??

Patrick Frontéri # GroupWiseR of Norway # Active part of the OpenHorizons and NetworkPartners.no Collaboration
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

pfronteri;2104277 wrote:
Upgrading to SLES10 SP3 / OES2 SP2 helped with the OES configuration menu appearing in YaST, and it does include an eDirectory integrated DHCP for Linux - though it does not seem to integrated with the NetWare DHCP configurations....

Yes, this is normal, DHCP for NetWare is a separate configuration as that for OES2 Linux.
DNS however is integrated using the same objects/locator.

But after the upgrade I now have another problem with iPrint 😞 The novell-ipsmd will not start automatically when booting :(( The reason seems to be that novell-novfsd won't start. The upgrade had problems downloading 'novell-novfs-kmp-default', complaining about 'fails integrety check' 😞

I can start iPrint manually afterwards, but looks to me it's waiting for some eDirectory/NSS stuff that is slow because of novell-novfsd that won't start. This is a 64-bit server, but I have same problem this package on 32-bits servers after the upgrade 😞

Is there something wrong with this package from Novell??

One check to be sure : are the server certificates still valid and is namcd running as it should?

As for the kernel dependency check, you might be able to fix the novfsd error by opening YaST's Software Management, search voor the novell-novfs-kmp-<correct version of the kernel you are running> and reinstall that. Check the version (default, smp, etc... by running 'uname -a' on the server command prompt).

Before doing that though, how did you upgrade the server? Using the online or offline method?

-Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 09/05/2011 11:06, pfronteri wrote:

> Upgrading to SLES10 SP3 / OES2 SP2 helped with the OES configuration
> menu appearing in YaST, and it does include an eDirectory integrated
> DHCP for Linux - though it does not seem to integrated with the NetWare
> DHCP configurations....

As Willem (magic31) said, DHCP in OES2 Linux doesn't share the same
configuration as DHCP in NetWare.

The following Cool Solutions article may help explain the differences
and reasons - http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/19638.html

Whilst it wasn't written for the latest version of OES2 (SP3) the
explanations still apply. For example, since then DHCP Failover has
been added.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.