Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Yast OES Install and Configuration Products not correct after OES 2018 SP1 upgrade

Upgraded from OES 2015 SP1 to OES 2018 SP1. Now Yast OES Install and Configuration Products list is not synchronized with actual installed Products. Under the Software Selection list, installed  Products should show with a black square containing a check mark. For example, Novell DNS, Novell DHCP, and Novell iManager are installed on this server, but the square box in front of each Product is an empty white square. How to get the Products in this list back in sync with the installed Products? Is there another way to tell which Products are installed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Yast OES Install and Configuration Products not correct after OES 2018 SP1 upgrade

@mmay1 wrote:

Is there another way to tell which Products are installed?

rpm -qa

🙂

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Yast OES Install and Configuration Products not correct after OES 2018 SP1 upgrade

Does it look the same if you call

zypper se -t pattern

from the shell?

What does
zypper info -t pattern novell-dns

give you?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Sorry for the delay guys, been having Kaspersky problems.
rpm -qa
This shows all the packages installed. It does not show the OES Products that are installed. It does show the many packages that an OES Product installs. For example for DHCP:
rpm -qa|grep dhcp
novell-dnsdhcp-jc-1.4.4-0.25.1.x86_64
novell-oes-dhcp-server-4.3.3_OES-3.73.x86_64
novell-dnsdhcp-javaconsole-2.4.5-0.49.1.x86_64
novell-oes-dhcp-conf-1.4.5-0.22.7.x86_64
yast2-novell-dhcp-2.18.2-15.3.noarch
yast2-dhcp-server-3.2.2-1.106.noarch
novell-oes-dhcp-relay-4.3.3_OES-3.73.x86_64
dhcpv6-1.0.22-3.21.2.x86_64
novell-oes-dhcp-migration-2.4.4-0.20.53.x86_64
novell-plugin-dhcp-2.4.4-0.23.11.x86_64
novell-oes-dhcp-4.3.3_OES-3.73.x86_64
patterns-sles-dhcp_dns_server-12-79.3.3.x86_64
novell-oes-dhcp-client-4.3.3_OES-3.73.x86_64

Not what I'm looking for.

zypper se -t pattern
Yes it does look the same. That is the zypper from the shell shows that the Novell DHCP pattern is not installed and the YaST shows the same thing.

zypper info -t pattern novell-dns
nformation for pattern novell-dns:
-----------------------------------
Repository : OES2018-SP1-Pool
Name : novell-dns
Version : 12.1-43.1
Arch : x86_64
Vendor : Novell, Inc.
Installed : No
Visible to User : Yes
Summary : Novell DNS
Description : I left this part out
Contents :
S | Name | Type | Dependency
---+--------------------------------+---------+-----------
i+ | novell-bind | package | Required
i+ | novell-dnsdhcp-javaconsole | package | Required
i | patterns-oes-novell-base | package | Required
| patterns-oes-novell-dns | package | Required
i | patterns-oes-novell-edirectory | package | Required
i | patterns-oes-novell-lum | package | Required
i | patterns-oes-novell-nrm | package | Required
i | patterns-oes-novell-sms | package | Required
i+ | patterns-sles-dhcp_dns_server | package | Required
Well as you can see it says that it is not installed, but yet it is installed and running, because I'm using it!
How do I get this back in sync with what is installed?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

No warranty...

No clue how this could happen but it seems that all what's missing "technically" is the patterns-oes-novell-dns rpm. As it doesn't contain anything but a textfile somewhere underneath /usr/share/doc i'd guess you can simply install it which should clean things up (might want to grab an offline snapshot before). I actually CAN see something similar with the "C/C++ Compiler and Tools" pattern which i had installed on hundreds of boxes. After upgrading to OES2018SP1+ is was unticked in the "patterns" section. All that was missing was the "patterns-sles-Basis-Devel" rpm (also just containing a textfile for /usr/share/doc). I simply installed it and magically the entire pattern was ticked again. Just a cosmetic issue IMHO.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I don't think that it is just a cosmetic issue. When I did the upgrade from OES 2015 SP1 to OES 2018 SP1 a list was presented with what was installed and asked if any changes were desired. I am assuming that this list of installed stuff came from the patterns installed and since the patterns are no longer installed, even though the packages that make up the pattern are installed, the next upgrade will not go so well. Does anyone know how the upgrade knows what is installed?

I did some looking around and ended up doing this.

Instead of looking at YaST  OES Install and Configuration, I went to YaST Software Management. Clicked on the Patterns tab. Starting at the top of the list of Patterns (Help and Support Documentation), I  clicked on each Pattern, NOT clicking the box in front of each Pattern, but clicking on the text of each Pattern. This put the list of packages for each Pattern on the right side with each package's status, i.e. Installed, Not Installed, in the first column. Any Pattern that had all the packages installed except the package that starts with "patterns" and the rest of the package name matched the Pattern, I assumed was installed and thus clicked the box in front of that package to select it for installing. For each of these, this installed a "small" package of one file and nothing else. As far as I can tell there were no actual changes to server operations. After doing this I went to YaST OES Install and Configuration. I think that it now matches what was originally installed when installing OES 2015 SP1. I said, I think, because I don't have any notes, etc. that document what was installed. I'll do better on that next time!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As i've mentioned above: if all that's missing for a given pattern is the "pattern rpm" (the one containing nothing but the small textfile) just install it and the records will be put straight.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@mathiasbraun wrote:

As i've mentioned above: if all that's missing for a given pattern is the "pattern rpm" (the one containing nothing but the small textfile) just install it and the records will be put straight.

That's an easy workaround but if the install is not properly recording the installed components that should be resolved.

@mmay1 Can you open an SR and provide a link to this thread?

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I agree with Kevin.

Opened SR #101289191671.

Will keep y'all posted on what happens.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Got this back from Micro Focus Support today (03/16/2020).

I created defect 1166804 for this issue, and will be pushing it as a high priority defect since this is going to affect a lot of customers as they move forward.

Will let know what happens.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Got email yesterday, 03/20/2020 from Support that they are waiting on Development.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Got email from Support today, 03/25/2020.

I just heard back from engineering on this bug.  It looks like what you, and others have run into is a limitation of SuSEmanager, and the correct repos have to be enabled prior to upgrading (i.e. they've seen this in our testing).  I have asked for some additional clarification and will let you know when I get that, but at this point it appears that the official response from engineering is that as part of a pre-upgrade check the repos need to be verified.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.