rdreed Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZEN 7 and Windows 7

For test purposes we pxe booted an IBM Thinkpad X100e with ZFD 7 to see if imaging would work. (Purchasing decision). Machine booted fine, connected to network and uploaded image no problem. Downloaded to another to test receiving the image, it completes successfully but on boot gives message "There has been a signature failure." Any info on compatibility of Win 7 with ZEN 7 imaging, any workarounds etc? We are not in a position to move to ZEN 10 at this point, but need a way to leverage Windows 7.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ZEN 7 and Windows 7

Rdreed,
> Any info on
> compatibility of Win 7 with ZEN 7 imaging, any workarounds etc? We are
> not in a position to move to ZEN 10 at this point, but need a way to
> leverage Windows 7.
>

AFAIK is there no support for Vista or Win7 in ZEN7, you need ZCM for
that.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rdreed;1948766 wrote:
For test purposes we pxe booted an IBM Thinkpad X100e with ZFD 7 to see if imaging would work. (Purchasing decision). Machine booted fine, connected to network and uploaded image no problem. Downloaded to another to test receiving the image, it completes successfully but on boot gives message "There has been a signature failure." Any info on compatibility of Win 7 with ZEN 7 imaging, any workarounds etc? We are not in a position to move to ZEN 10 at this point, but need a way to leverage Windows 7.

Hi

I don't have the answer but I'll share my experience. I bought some Thinkpads a couple of years ago and configured the first and created the image with Zen 7. I then struck the same problem you did.
After trawling the web for a while I found that the most plausible answer was that the boot partition of the Thinkpad was spread across several sectors and not just in the first sector as had been common prevously. Zen was trained only to look there and so didn't get the full boot bits. I couldn't find a way around this at the time. Apologies if you've already found this.
I suspect that Anders is correct about upgrading to ZCM I haven't done that yet so cannot confirm his solution. In the end I used Shadowprotect on a CD to boot the beast up and created an image with that on an external hard drive.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi,

rdreed wrote:
>
> For test purposes we pxe booted an IBM Thinkpad X100e with ZFD 7 to see
> if imaging would work. (Purchasing decision). Machine booted fine,
> connected to network and uploaded image no problem. Downloaded to
> another to test receiving the image, it completes successfully but on
> boot gives message "There has been a signature failure." Any info on
> compatibility of Win 7 with ZEN 7 imaging, any workarounds etc?

No compatibility at all, and no workaround either. Zen7 imaging cannot
deal with the additional features of NTFS starting with Vista, and
despite sometimes imaging and restoring seems succesful, the result is
in all cases totally broken, especially in terms of security and rights
in the filesystem, which in return breaks a whole lot of stuff. One of
the most obvious once being that a Vista or Win7 machine that has been
restored using Zen7 imaging can no longer be patched at all using
windows update, due to the ACLs in the filesystem being completely
borked.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.