strangeloop Absent Member.
Absent Member.

administration problem

Hello there,
Really appreciate help with this problem. I have a network running netware 6.5 and workstations running winxp. I have a file extension on the network called .123 .I need all users to be able to open this file with wordpad - at the moment it appears as an unknown file to users. Is there a way in netware to push out a policy to all users that files with extension .123 should open with wordpad.

Thank you for your time.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: administration problem

You can probably create a reg file containing the required definitions for .123 to be associated with wordpad and then push out that reg frile from the login script, or in case you have a product like ZENworks, through other means.
From the login script, you would have to include a line like:
@regedit /s <regfile>

Where <regfile> contains the full path to the reg file to apply.
0 Likes
strangeloop Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Marcel_Cox;1719044 wrote:
You can probably create a reg file containing the required definitions for .123 to be associated with wordpad and then push out that reg frile from the login script, or in case you have a product like ZENworks, through other means.
From the login script, you would have to include a line like:
@regedit /s <regfile>

Where <regfile> contains the full path to the reg file to apply.

Thanks, I might try this in zenworks...not comfortable screwing up our users registry files. We have zenworks on the network but i have never used it.

Thanks for your help and time.
0 Likes
Peter3 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

strangeloop wrote:

> not comfortable screwing up our
> users registry files.

You don't have much choice but to modify the user's registry as you need
to create the file association for Windows to recognize it ..

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
http://www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
snidelydev Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Peter;1719679 wrote:
strangeloop wrote:

> not comfortable screwing up our
> users registry files.

You don't have much choice but to modify the user's registry as you need
to create the file association for Windows to recognize it ..

But given a choice between a putty knife and an axe, which would you use to update the registry? Do some of the Zen tools provide a better way than hand-crafting reg files?

/dps

0 Likes
Highlighted
Peter3 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For me, I'd simply update the Windows registry using REGEDIT /S and a
well-test reg file and push them out in the login script.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
http://www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.