Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
iblackwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.

apache graceful restart kills ifolder

Hi,

I have an iFolder 3.6 server on OES2 (not SP1) x86_64 server.

Every 24 hours Apache does a graceful restart - I believe this is so the logs can be rolled.

I have not been able to find how this is triggered (it is NOT in Crontab !) or how it picks what time to do it.

It was happening at 8:30pm, now since a power outage it happens at 2:00pm. Restarting the server now does NOT change when it occurs though....

When Apache does this "graceful" restart it is anything but graceful. A snippet from /var/log/apache2/error_log

>>>>>
[Thu Oct 29 14:00:04 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.3 (Linux/SUSE) configured -- resuming normal operations
log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.log. Sharing violation on path /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.log
log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.access.log. Sharing violation on path /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.access.log
log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.log. Sharing violation on path /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.log
log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.access.log. Sharing violation on path /ifdata/simias/log/Simias.access.log

<<<<<

After this clients drop all connection and cannot reconnect.

I seriously think a "sleep 20" in the right spot would fix this !

To recover, I stop apache, wait, kill all mono processes and restart apache. We are then good until 2pm the next day...

log4net seems to be a Apache component.

I have set iFolder logging to NONE - no change !

Anyone know:

1. How to fix it
2. How to workaround it
3. How this apache restart is triggered ?
4. How to get it to do the restart in non-peak hours !

Cheers
Ian
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
EricVeysey1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: apache graceful restart kills ifolder

Hi,

I've had similar problems and its caused by logrotate.

You can remove it from logrotate or add some code to kill mono every time apache restarts.

Thanks. Eric.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.