Highlighted
gcps_testid Absent Member.
Absent Member.
6322 views

best affordable OES Linux backup software

From your experience, what you have found to be the most affordably (very low budget) priced Novell OES linux compatible backup software that actually works reliably? The core requirements would be consistent, live edirectory backups and full NSS volume backups with trustee data intact. Bare metal restore/disaster recovery functionality would be nice as well. If the low-cost backup software does not support bare metal restores, what have you found as a good workaround for disaster recovery before restoring using the backup software's restore agent?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
mjackiw Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

Barracuda Yosemite Backup. We've been using it for years. The primary backup administrator is on a Windows XP Pro box with clients on our NetWare, SLES, Windows 2003 Server, and Red Hat Enterprise boxes. Works solid, no problems, does an incredible job. It can be run directly from any Linux box as well, doesn't matter.

Yosemite Server Backup Overview - BarracudaWare / Yosemite Technologies

gcps_testid;2090499 wrote:
From your experience, what you have found to be the most affordably (very low budget) priced Novell OES linux compatible backup software that actually works reliably? The core requirements would be consistent, live edirectory backups and full NSS volume backups with trustee data intact. Bare metal restore/disaster recovery functionality would be nice as well. If the low-cost backup software does not support bare metal restores, what have you found as a good workaround for disaster recovery before restoring using the backup software's restore agent?
0 Likes
gcps_testid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

Thank you very much for the tip. I was not familiar with their offering. It is from a trusted company and the pricing seems very fair. However, even though I see that their software backs up SLES and NetWare, it does not mention OES Linux outright that I could find. Do you know if they support OES Linux or just NetWare and SLES independently? This seems to be an issue with many backup software vendors.

mjackiw;2090504 wrote:
Barracuda Yosemite Backup. We've been using it for years. The primary backup administrator is on a Windows XP Pro box with clients on our NetWare, SLES, Windows 2003 Server, and Red Hat Enterprise boxes. Works solid, no problems, does an incredible job. It can be run directly from any Linux box as well, doesn't matter.

Yosemite Server Backup Overview - BarracudaWare / Yosemite Technologies
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

gcps_testid;2090640 wrote:
Thank you very much for the tip. I was not familiar with their offering. It is from a trusted company and the pricing seems very fair. However, even though I see that their software backs up SLES and NetWare, it does not mention OES Linux outright that I could find. Do you know if they support OES Linux or just NetWare and SLES independently? This seems to be an issue with many backup software vendors.


sep.de is also a good one.

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

On 29/03/2011 05:06, gcps testid wrote:

> From your experience, what you have found to be the most affordably
> (very low budget) priced Novell OES linux compatible backup software
> that actually works reliably? The core requirements would be
> consistent, live edirectory backups and full NSS volume backups with
> trustee data intact. Bare metal restore/disaster recovery functionality
> would be nice as well. If the low-cost backup software does not support
> bare metal restores, what have you found as a good workaround for
> disaster recovery before restoring using the backup software's restore
> agent?


I suggest you take a look at SEP seam (www.sep.de).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
gcps_testid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

The official reply directly from Barracudaware:
"We currently don’t support Novell’s OES.
We have known issues related to backing up the specialized NSS volume they create and we currently do not collect the edirectory"

gcps_testid;2090640 wrote:
Thank you very much for the tip. I was not familiar with their offering. It is from a trusted company and the pricing seems very fair. However, even though I see that their software backs up SLES and NetWare, it does not mention OES Linux outright that I could find. Do you know if they support OES Linux or just NetWare and SLES independently? This seems to be an issue with many backup software vendors.
0 Likes
gcps_testid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

I always read good things about SEP sesam on the forums. Do you think SEP sesam is the lowest cost backup solution out there that is Novell certified (for OES Linux) and actually works? Is there another "value" option that works ALMOST as well as SEP but for a lower cost?

smflood;2090804 wrote:
On 29/03/2011 05:06, gcps testid wrote:

> From your experience, what you have found to be the most affordably
> (very low budget) priced Novell OES linux compatible backup software
> that actually works reliably? The core requirements would be
> consistent, live edirectory backups and full NSS volume backups with
> trustee data intact. Bare metal restore/disaster recovery functionality
> would be nice as well. If the low-cost backup software does not support
> bare metal restores, what have you found as a good workaround for
> disaster recovery before restoring using the backup software's restore
> agent?


I suggest you take a look at SEP seam (SEP - Backup, Restore & Disaster Recovery Software: Home).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
warper2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

gcps testid wrote:

>
> I always read good things about SEP sesam on the forums. Do you think
> SEP sesam is the lowest cost backup solution out there that is Novell
> certified (for OES Linux) and actually works? Is there another "value"
> option that works ALMOST as well as SEP but for a lower cost?
>
> smflood;2090804 Wrote:
>> On 29/03/2011 05:06, gcps testid wrote:
>>
>> > From your experience, what you have found to be the most affordably
>> > (very low budget) priced Novell OES linux compatible backup software
>> > that actually works reliably? The core requirements would be
>> > consistent, live edirectory backups and full NSS volume backups with
>> > trustee data intact. Bare metal restore/disaster recovery

>> functionality
>> > would be nice as well. If the low-cost backup software does not

>> support
>> > bare metal restores, what have you found as a good workaround for
>> > disaster recovery before restoring using the backup software's

>> restore
>> > agent?

>>
>> I suggest you take a look at SEP seam ('SEP - Backup, Restore &
>> Disaster Recovery Software: Home' (http://www.sep.de)).
>>
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Simon
>> Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or
>> school?
>> If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
>> Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>
>


Use Sep. You will be happy. It works great. I have it installed at multiple
customers. It just works.

0 Likes
gcps_testid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

(Anyone using SEP) Are you using the SEP Bare Metal Recovery add-on (additional cost) or do you have your own "from scratch" bare metal restore system that works well for OES Linux?

warper2;2091108 wrote:
gcps testid wrote:

>
> I always read good things about SEP sesam on the forums. Do you think
> SEP sesam is the lowest cost backup solution out there that is Novell
> certified (for OES Linux) and actually works? Is there another "value"
> option that works ALMOST as well as SEP but for a lower cost?
>
> smflood;2090804 Wrote:
>> On 29/03/2011 05:06, gcps testid wrote:
>>
>> > From your experience, what you have found to be the most affordably
>> > (very low budget) priced Novell OES linux compatible backup software
>> > that actually works reliably? The core requirements would be
>> > consistent, live edirectory backups and full NSS volume backups with
>> > trustee data intact. Bare metal restore/disaster recovery

>> functionality
>> > would be nice as well. If the low-cost backup software does not

>> support
>> > bare metal restores, what have you found as a good workaround for
>> > disaster recovery before restoring using the backup software's

>> restore
>> > agent?

>>
>> I suggest you take a look at SEP seam ('SEP - Backup, Restore &
>> Disaster Recovery Software: Home' (SEP - Backup, Restore & Disaster Recovery Software: Home)).
>>
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Simon
>> Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or
>> school?
>> If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
>> Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>
>


Use Sep. You will be happy. It works great. I have it installed at multiple
customers. It just works.
0 Likes
PeteW99 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

sep works great if you only use full backup. It does not backup moved/renamed folders/files or Folders/files copied from a Windows PC during an incremental or differential backup. Check out the Cool Solution link as pointed out in previous post
0 Likes
gcps_testid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

Do you have the link that you can post here?

PeteW99;2091747 wrote:
sep works great if you only use full backup. It does not backup moved/renamed folders/files or Folders/files copied from a Windows PC during an incremental or differential backup. Check out the Cool Solution link as pointed out in previous post
0 Likes
PeteW99 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

Sorry I was confused with another thread. You can find the link from the thread, Diff backup with NSS or
Cool Solutions: Incremental and Differential Backups with Linux. The coolsolutions explained what you need to be aware of when running diff or incremental backup.
0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

I used SEP in single server environments where I used to work
Initially I was told by the powers that be that we were using arcserve and that was that
When I demonstrated that it didn't work properly on Linux and had no real TSA support for linux / edir etc we started using SEP
It's probably not the very cheapest, but it's simple to set up and it just works like backup software should, tiny tiny install as well

0 Likes
rbarc Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: best affordable OES Linux backup software

Just to be different, we use ARCServe 11.5 on a SLES server (connected to an LTO tape unit). It supports NSS volumes and eDir whereas the later versions 12 & 15 on Windows don't. It isn't particularly fancy but seems pretty reliable and quite cheap, FWIW. We're on OES2SP2 on VMWare ESX 4.0.

Doesn't handle GW all that well, just does a complete backup but no partial restores supported, so I'm going to add Reload if I'm allowed to spend the $. SEP might handle that a lot better. I've looked at SEP but in my location (NZ) there's no support closer than Australia which is an issue. SEP does look nice, a bit more expensive than ARCServe, but maybe not if Reload is included. Reload does do a bit more though, as far as I can see.

gcps_testid;2090499 wrote:
From your experience, what you have found to be the most affordably (very low budget) priced Novell OES linux compatible backup software that actually works reliably? The core requirements would be consistent, live edirectory backups and full NSS volume backups with trustee data intact. Bare metal restore/disaster recovery functionality would be nice as well. If the low-cost backup software does not support bare metal restores, what have you found as a good workaround for disaster recovery before restoring using the backup software's restore agent?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.