petersep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

can't migrate dns server from Netware to Linux

OES doucumentation states we need to use imanager then select dns and select move dns server. When I click on move DNS server I get a java exception error
first 2 lines:

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Array index out of range: 0\n at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Vector.java:266)\n at com.novell.imanage.dns.DNSServer.getVersion(Unknown Source)\n at com.novell.imanage.dns.MoveDNSServerTask.showInitialForm(Unknown Source)\n at

Anybody else get this and find a solution? Any help would be appreciated. I tried this on 3 linux servers and 2 Netware servers that have imanager installed version 2.7 and 2.6. Same error on all of them. I'm using Java 6, update 6
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

Re: can't migrate dns server from Netware to Linux

petersep,

where are you using Java 6, update 6 ?

Have you updated the jvm that is used by imanager ?

Rainer
0 Likes
Nathan1918 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am having similar problems with a migration from Netware 6 SP5 to Linux OES2. Might it have something to do with the version of NCP on the Netware box?
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

Nathan,

"NetWare 6.0 SP5 and later versions" is officially supported for a dns migration. Can you tell a little bit more about your problems ? Are you migrating in the same tree, using imanager, ...

Rainer
0 Likes
petersep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I still cannot get the move dns server utility to load from imanager. I also tried it with the java console but when I highlight the server to be moved the icon used for the move is greyed out so I can't do it that way either. What I did notice with the java console is when I highlight the dns server to be moved, I am missing the control lists tab and the advanced tab. All other DNS servers have those tabs!!
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

petersep,

I need to reproduce your problem a little bit more information.
From what netware version (which edirectory version) are you trying to migrate the dns server to a linux server ? The linux server is a oes 2 server in the same tree ?

Rainer
0 Likes
petersep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rainer

The Netware server(nwzen) is nw65SP7 with edir 8.8sp2. My Old DNS server (NW1) had harware failure. I then created a new DNS server on NWZEN(It already had dns/dhcp installed on it years ago as a backup but never used until now) nwzen is a busy server because it is of course my zenworks 6.5 server so I wanted to get dhcp/dns off of it. I then sucessfully migrated dhcp off of it using YAST and it works fine on an oes2 linux server. But I can't seem to migrate DNS off of nwzen to the oes2 linux server. I deleted the dns server and recreated it but I am still missing the advanced tab and the control list tab on the java console & imanager. The DNS server has been flaky since moving to nwzen so something is up with it. It remains unavailable as a move option in the java console and I can't even load the move dns server page in imanager. Feel free to email me direct at petersep@dowling.edu or call me at 631-244-3460 for more information
Thank You
0 Likes
Brunold Rainer
New Member.

petersep,

I added a oes 2 linux server to my netware 6.5 sp7 test tree and moved the dns server successful around. But I only could do this with the dns/dhcp java console because the imanager supports for this operation just oes 2 linux server as target and source. So anyway that one would not help. We have to use the dns/dhcp java console for this task.

So two questions:

What version of dns/dhcp console are you using ? My one is the OES2 25.10.07

Second, had you ever running a dns server on that oes 2 server ? If possible configure just a test zone for it and see if the dns server at all can be started. I just want to make sure that it can be started and everything on this server would be okay.

To check the dns edirectory schema, you can start dnipinst on your netware server, provide it a supervisor equivalent user and see if that reports that everything is available.

Rainer
0 Likes
Nathan1918 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am Migrating in the same tree. This Tree contains a Netware 6 server (being retired) a Netware 6.5 SP7 server and a new SLES 10 OES 2 Groupwise server wich is what I am also trying to migrate the DNS to. I can get to everything in both iManager and the older Java console. (I have been searching for a new java console but to no avail.) I have tried just adding the new DNS and letting DDNS pass and update the information, but that does not seem to work. It all looks right, but if I try to only use the new DDNS server then the only things that resolve are the A records I have entered since the server came online.
Any ideas?

brunold;1586735 wrote:
Nathan,

"NetWare 6.0 SP5 and later versions" is officially supported for a dns migration. Can you tell a little bit more about your problems ? Are you migrating in the same tree, using imanager, ...

Rainer
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.