UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Commodore
Commodore

change OES2015 IP address

I want to change the IP address of an OES 2015 SP1 server. I will be decommisssioning it shortly but it currently has GroupWise running on it. I want to move GroupWise to a new server then use the old server's IP address that I bind to the new server so that GroupWise still sees the same IP address.  

My problem is that I want to keep the old server up so I can get files off of it if I need to before I totally decommission it.  I don't care about anything other than basic file access (on an NSS volume) on the old server. Therefore I want to change the IP address of the old server to something else so it doesn't conflict with the old IP address that is now bound to the new GroupWise server.

In the OES 2015 docs, there is a section on changing the IP address.  I am confused by the terms 'old' and 'new' Master Server Address.  It says the old IP address is "The IP address of the eDirectory server specified when the server was installed."

So specifically, server1 in the tree has an IP of x.x.x.9 and server2 (which is the old GroupWise server) has an IP of x.x.x.6. If I am changing the IP of server2, is the 'Old Master Server' address that of server2? (x.x.x.6) or of server1 (x.x.x.9)? 

Thanks,

Dan

Labels (3)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@dch151 

Hi Dan,

You can change the IP address of an OES server but there are many places where that IP address is referenced. Where it is absolutely  necessary you can do it by running a script that should  make all the appropriate changes. In general though we don't usually change the IP address on an OES server.

In your other threads we discussed a number of strategies for assigning a permanent IP address to GroupWise. I thought you had decided to leave the server IP addresses as they are and assign a new IP address for GroupWise. Has that changed?

There is one point that we didn't clarify: Do your servers have a public or private address assigned to them? Assuming they are private, why not just choose a new one for GroupWise?

As @ketter suggested in another thread, why don't you just assign a new IP address before you do the migration while GroupWise is still running from its current server. This way you have a bit if time to ensure everyone is using the new IP address to access GroupWise before you begin the migration.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

That is what I'm going to do.  I will add a secondary IP to the new OES2018 server that I spun up and use that as the IP for GroupWise and Messenger products.  I will also have to change the static NATs through the firewall for the PO (1677) as well as for WebAccess and Messenger.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.