Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4059 views

change public IP

Public URL http://192.168.0.5/simias10
Private URL http://192.168.0.5/simias10

This is an example of what we have after initial setup of iFolder 3.6 running on SLES10 sp1. OES 1 sp2.

How can I change that Public URL IP without having to re-setup all of my clients again? Clients currently cannot access iFolder3 from the outside of our firewall because the local/inside IP address in in the public URL!!! I have port www, and https open on firewall of our network and its not allowing them to access the iFolder3 server. Clients work just fine on inside network.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
25 Replies
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

First, do you have internal and external DNS servers under your
control? You are going to need to access iFolder with a URL instead of
an address. IFolder pushes its address to the clients, and you need it
to push a URL instead of an IP address.

You will need an internal DNS to give out the internal address to
clients on the LAN. Your public DNS needs to give out a public address
to clients on the internet. Unless you have only a couple of hosts and
want to control this with HOSTS files.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

Yes, I do have internal and external DNS under my control, I understand how it should have been setup, my problem is that I cannot afford to fix every client out there if I change the iFolder address to a DNS name instead of IP. So how do I change the internal IP to a Domain Name without breaking the clients?



phxazcraig;1685610 wrote:
First, do you have internal and external DNS servers under your
control? You are going to need to access iFolder with a URL instead of
an address. IFolder pushes its address to the clients, and you need it
to push a URL instead of an IP address.

You will need an internal DNS to give out the internal address to
clients on the LAN. Your public DNS needs to give out a public address
to clients on the internet. Unless you have only a couple of hosts and
want to control this with HOSTS files.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
0 Likes
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

In article <wildt.3jdz21@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Wildt wrote:
> So how do I change the internal IP to a Domain Name
> without breaking the clients?
>

I *think* iFolder 3.6 works like iFolder 2.x in that you configure the
server with a URL, and it pushes that URL to the clients when they
initially connect. If so, simply changing the server config to a URL
should result in the client changing automatically. Unfortunately I
can't test this right now - not until next week.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

I will wait until next week then when you can test. Please respond if you will to let me know how this works! Thank you, Tom.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

I just found this article, however they are using iFolder 2 and I am using iFolder 3.6

I logged into the admin interface and can see the server settings(public and private url) but cannot change them! I also noticed that my plugin for ifolder3 is installed on my server but iFolder 3 administration doesn't show up in iManager!!!!!!!!! How do I fix iManager plugin for iFolder3?
0 Likes
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

In article <wildt.3je7uo@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Wildt wrote:
> I logged into the admin interface and can see the server
> settings(public and private url) but cannot change them!


How did you log in? (What url and what user account?)

> I also noticed
> that my plugin for ifolder3 is installed on my server but iFolder 3
> administration doesn't show up in iManager!!!!!!!!! How do I fix
> iManager plugin for iFolder3?
>

IFolder (both 2.x and 3.x) is adminstered with a web browser, and not
iManager. The iManager plugin only links you to the https://x.x.x.x/admin
web page for logging into iFolder manager.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For some iFolder tips, go to
http://www.craigjconsulting.com/ifolder.html ***

0 Likes
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

In article <wildt.3je2ap@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Wildt wrote:
> I will wait until next week then when you can test. Please respond if
> you will to let me know how this works!
>

I'm in my office now, and I can at least check some settings and compare
to yours.

If you log into your ifolder server as admin (https://x.x.x.x/admin URL
to start), go to the Servers tab. Let me know what you have configured
there, particularly for Public URL.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For some iFolder tips, go to
http://www.craigjconsulting.com/ifolder.html ***

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

In admin web console, server details are as follows:

Name: mvsles01
Type: Master
DNS Name: mvsles01
Public URL http://"internal IP"/simias10
Private URL http://"internal IP"/simias10

Also, I am logged in as admin to the web console. I cannot change these public or private url's, unless i am missing something!
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

The DNS entry in our internal and external DNS servers is as follows:

internal = ifolder3.companyname.com
external = ifolder3.companyname.com

Should the DNS name in the admin console be ifolder3, or does that matter in the DNS field on admin console?
0 Likes
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

In article <wildt.3jfw1c@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Wildt wrote:
> Public URL http://"internal IP"/simias10
> Private URL http://"internal IP"/simias10
>

This may be where the issue lies. I am hoping it should be a matter of
changing these settings.

The settings are contained in the /var/simias/data/simias/Simias.config
file. It will be obvious what they are. If that doesn't work to
change the setting, try running the server setup again from
/opt/novell/ifolder3/bin/simias-server-setup. (Might be under /root).
If you have a problem finding the simias-server-setup file, try
rerunning the iFolder configuration in Yast, OES2 Install and
Configure.

However, I'm looking at an iFolder 3.6 client on one of my PC's, and it
has the URL I use for my iFolder configured. I don't recall now if I
had and IP address there once and had to manually change it when I
first connected, but there is an option there to change the server name
if you take the client offline first. Have you tried that? I realize
it's a manual process, but I want to see if it will work. If so, then
the server is not pushing out the addressing like 2.1x does, and it may
be harder to get existing clients reconfigured. But I think if you
have the URL in the public IP setting, at least new clients pointing to
the URL should be good.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For some iFolder tips, go to
http://www.craigjconsulting.com/ifolder.html ***

0 Likes
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

In article <wildt.3jfwhz@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Wildt wrote:
> Should the DNS name in the admin console be ifolder3, or does that
> matter in the DNS field on admin console?
>

I don't think it matters. The public and private DNS names are for
accessing the ifolder web site, regardless of the server name. Still,
it wouldn't hurt to match it.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For some iFolder tips, go to
http://www.craigjconsulting.com/ifolder.html ***

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

I tried editing the config in /var/simias/data/simias/Simias.config, after a restart of apache2 and tomcat this didn't change in the admin page settings. I also restarted the server, still no change. I then ran the /opt/novell/ifolder3/simias/bin/ifolder3-web-setup, this didn't do anything either.

I am scared to run the simias-server-setup, i cannot go back and fix all of the clients already setup on the server, this is very sensitive right now so its not an option. If you can test to see if I run this setup, will i have to redo the clients or will they still work? i think this is a certificate thing! each time i re install server, i have to redo the clients, but how about the setup for ifolder3, does this break the clients too?



phxazcraig;1687109 wrote:
In article <wildt.3jfw1c@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Wildt wrote:
> Public URL http://"internal IP"/simias10
> Private URL http://"internal IP"/simias10
>

This may be where the issue lies. I am hoping it should be a matter of
changing these settings.

The settings are contained in the /var/simias/data/simias/Simias.config
file. It will be obvious what they are. If that doesn't work to
change the setting, try running the server setup again from
/opt/novell/ifolder3/bin/simias-server-setup. (Might be under /root).
If you have a problem finding the simias-server-setup file, try
rerunning the iFolder configuration in Yast, OES2 Install and
Configure.

However, I'm looking at an iFolder 3.6 client on one of my PC's, and it
has the URL I use for my iFolder configured. I don't recall now if I
had and IP address there once and had to manually change it when I
first connected, but there is an option there to change the server name
if you take the client offline first. Have you tried that? I realize
it's a manual process, but I want to see if it will work. If so, then
the server is not pushing out the addressing like 2.1x does, and it may
be harder to get existing clients reconfigured. But I think if you
have the URL in the public IP setting, at least new clients pointing to
the URL should be good.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For some iFolder tips, go to
iFolder Tips ***
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

It also seems as though the scripts on the os like ifolder3-web-setup are for testing purposes only and don't actually edit any of the files on the server, at least they didn't for my web setup. looks as though I would have to actually do this from yast, oes setup.

again, let me know if the public and private setting is in server setup, or web setup, and then let me know if it breaks the clients.

thanks,
Tom

wildt;1687208 wrote:
I tried editing the config in /var/simias/data/simias/Simias.config, after a restart of apache2 and tomcat this didn't change in the admin page settings. I also restarted the server, still no change. I then ran the /opt/novell/ifolder3/simias/bin/ifolder3-web-setup, this didn't do anything either.

I am scared to run the simias-server-setup, i cannot go back and fix all of the clients already setup on the server, this is very sensitive right now so its not an option. If you can test to see if I run this setup, will i have to redo the clients or will they still work? i think this is a certificate thing! each time i re install server, i have to redo the clients, but how about the setup for ifolder3, does this break the clients too?
0 Likes
phxazcraig Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: change public IP

In article <wildt.3jg8jd@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Wildt wrote:
> I am scared to run the simias-server-setup, i cannot go back and fix
> all of the clients already setup on the server, this is very sensitive
> right now so its not an option. If you can test to see if I run this
> setup, will i have to redo the clients or will they still work? i think
> this is a certificate thing! each time i re install server, i have to
> redo the clients, but how about the setup for ifolder3, does this break
> the clients too?
>

The setup program is just a sledgehammer way to go in and get the url
changed the way you want. It shouldn't affect anything on the clients
negatively, but I don't have the time to run that test this week.

Perhaps an option for you would be to set up a second iFolder server, get
it configured correctly, and then move user data to it? (Or perhaps move
config files from it to the current server).

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For some iFolder tips, go to
http://www.craigjconsulting.com/ifolder.html ***

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.