Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

cifs file rights

Jump to solution

Hi all

Customer has a oes18sp1 server with nss volumes and cifs protocol activated.

They have one share where all users got read/write on whole share except in one directory (and sub directorys) where they only got read rights (inheritance blocking). One group got read/write rights to that directory structure.

Now one uses that are not part of read/write group need read/write to one file. I have set (rwembf) on that file with Imanager for that particular user, but if I try to login as that user (no client for oes) I'm able to change the name of the file but are unable to save a changed file.

What's the issue with that, do I have to do that in a other way then normal nss trustee rights?

/Lelle

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

This generally depends on the application which manipulates the file. Many work on temp files. Without create rights to the directory these can't be created. If they are created locally, there'll still be problems copying them to the server after deleting or renaming the original file. You'll have to trace this to see what's really going on,  but what you're facing is a common issue and likely by no means server related.

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

This generally depends on the application which manipulates the file. Many work on temp files. Without create rights to the directory these can't be created. If they are created locally, there'll still be problems copying them to the server after deleting or renaming the original file. You'll have to trace this to see what's really going on,  but what you're facing is a common issue and likely by no means server related.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Hi,

Yes, that is true. This is a Excel file so it will create a temp file. Thanks

/Lelle
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yep, it won't work out in this offset. In general testing you can always do checks against plaintext with notepad++ or even notepad or worpad as these should succeed with the rights you've granted.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.