Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

eDir and Linux users

I've got a Linux OES Server and we want to make it our web server. I've installed everything and it seems to work 100% except for one thing. None of my users (all LUM enabled) can ftp to the server, they get a screen prompting for a user name and a password, but it won't let them in.

I created a Linux user with the same name as one of the eDir users and they can use the FTP without any problem.

This brings the question, can I create a Linux account for each user as well as one in ConsoleOne? Should it be the same name or a different name? Should LUM-enabled users be able to use ftp without having to create a separate user name in Linux for them? If so I'm missing something here. I'm using vsftpd for ftp and CuteFTP Pro for the Client end

Any help would be appreciated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: eDir and Linux users

Is vsftpd configured correctly? If you just enable it, it will allow anonymous ftp only.

Uwe

--
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I though vs stood for "very secure" if it defaults to anonymous only shouldn't it be viftpd 'very INsecure" Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look. I don't suppose there is a front-end for it is there?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:51:04 +0000, wrote:

> I though vs stood for "very secure" if it defaults to anonymous only
> shouldn't it be viftpd 'very INsecure" Thanks for the tip, I'll have a
> look. I don't suppose there is a front-end for it is there?

A front-end? You mean graphical config tool? Don't be silly!
I'm not sure if there is a vsftp module for webmin either...

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp

One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* Mark Robinson wrote, On 01/22/2007 01:26 PM:

> A front-end? You mean graphical config tool? Don't be silly!
> I'm not sure if there is a vsftp module for webmin either...
>

There is a plug-in 🙂
Actually I don't understand for what use, editing vsftpd.conf to allow local users is not more complicated than removing the # in front of write_enable=yes and local_enable=yes, placing a hash infront of the anonymous lines and issue an rcxinetd restart. Tha should give him a fully featured, eDir controlled FTP server.

Uwe

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, - simple. I removed the # in front of write_enable=yes and local_enable=yes and I put a NO after anonymous line and I restarted it and it RUNS without a problem, but my problem is still EXACTLY the same. No-one can login except the user I also created a Linux account for and YES they are all LUM enabled and YES they all show as users in the Login page on boot, and they can all login. Yes I did all the chmod's and in fact followed the docs pretty much word for word and I really hope that you aren't trying to tell me that putting a # in front of the anonymous line rather than saying NO instead of YES is the cause of the problem. So maybe it isn't that simple after all. Looking through the forum, I see I'm not the only person who has troubles with this.

Some useful tips might be more helpful rather than trying to convince me that 3 days work is my own stupidity because I don't know how to remove a #, even if it is!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* battling user wrote, On 01/22/2007 06:39 PM:

> Some useful tips might be more helpful rather than trying to convince me
> that 3 days work is my own stupidity because I don't know how to remove
> a #, even if it is!

Feel free to open an incident with Novell.

Uwe

--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.