Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
iblackwood Absent Member.
Absent Member.

eDir username change - no change in iFolder

There were a couple of posts along similar lines - but no feedback of success....

OES2 SP2 (x86_64) hence iFolder 3.8.

We have changed the users CN (login name) in eDirectory.

From the iFolder /admin page we select the server and in the LDAP details section choose "Sync Now". This does NOT update the name in iFolder.

Looking back at a previous name change, I see it has also not flowed through. This was a couple of weeks ago and the server has been restarted in the meantime, so time doesn't mend all wounds. 😉

Querying the *same* LDAP source used by iFolder with Jxplorer shows the eDir correctly lists the new name.

Anyone got any ideas on this ?

Cheers
Ian
Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: eDir username change - no change in iFolder

iblackwood,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
Absent Member.

OKay, I logged a support request on this.

Apparently this is "working as designed". I can't say working as documented because this most common operation is simply not covered in the documentation !

I have been told that a NEW iFolder should be created for the user with their new login name. It is then up to the user to move their local data into the new iFolder. Then the call was closed, without checking with me.

As in the original SR text I had stated that an iFolder with the new name did not exist, I was not happy that the call was closed.

In short, the NEW iFolder is NOT created, and I have re-opened the call. A debug log is now being sent to backline to see what is happening.

I suspect if we can get this working, than the old iFolder will be orphaned and we can the reassign it.

Stay tuned !

Ian
0 Likes
farren Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Having the same issue here, so looking forward to hearing what you find out.

-Farren

iblackwood;1929909 wrote:
OKay, I logged a support request on this.

Apparently this is "working as designed". I can't say working as documented because this most common operation is simply not covered in the documentation !

I have been told that a NEW iFolder should be created for the user with their new login name. It is then up to the user to move their local data into the new iFolder. Then the call was closed, without checking with me.

As in the original SR text I had stated that an iFolder with the new name did not exist, I was not happy that the call was closed.

In short, the NEW iFolder is NOT created, and I have re-opened the call. A debug log is now being sent to backline to see what is happening.

I suspect if we can get this working, than the old iFolder will be orphaned and we can the reassign it.

Stay tuned !

Ian
0 Likes
EricVeysey1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looks like when you rename an account the iFolder doesn't actually have any functionality to pick up the change of name.

0 Likes
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating a new iFolder account for the new name makes no sense to me... I thought that iFolder tied accounts to eDir/LDAP with GUIDs or something like that.

In the past we have had difficulties with names updating in iFolder. We have traced them back to LDAP actually having multiple cn attributes. We've cleaned these up with an LDAP browser manually and then done another sync with the iFolder username updating properly.

I can't recall if we've done this since upgrading to iFolder 3.8 or not... I know we did it a lot with 3.7 and 3.6
0 Likes
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One of the help desk staff here mentioned he was having this problem today.

I have confirmed that my process no longer works on iFolder 3.8 as released with OES2 SP2.

Has anyone made any progress on this issue through a support incident or otherwise?

I see there were iFolder updates released in January that I have not applied yet. I may try those but can't seem to find any release notes on them. Anyone know what fixes or enhancements were made (hopefully with a link.)

Heath
0 Likes
ssutapalli2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Some one please clarify me:
Are u trying to change ID of the user in eDIR with which a user logs in to iFolder or you just tried to change first name/last name?

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Okay, latest update - it is "working as designed". Sigh... Tell me someone actually decided "let's make it so you can't change names".

I have asked what we can do, since in the real world names do change.

I bet they come back with delete the account and create a new one. Of course this means their eDirectory account (which for us is also Windows account).

Below is the response from support.

>>>
This is currently working as designed. When iFolder adds a new acct, it's built off of the GUID and CN of the user. iFolder itself will recognize the modification in eDir of any attribute other than the CN, i.e. firstname, lastname, addr, may all be changed, but the CN cannot be.
<<<<

I would suggest you ALL log a support request on this to raise the priority of it getting fixed.

Stay tuned !

Ian
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Workaround suggested was:
1. to move user out of iFolder search context (effectively removing user from iFolder system),

2. Rename user

3. Move user back

4. Assign orphaned folder back to user.

Aside from the fact that iFolder 3.8 currently has a major bug in that it *does not delete users* then maybe I could do that.

That lead to another start from scratch support request for a known MAJOR issue. Maybe we should update the documentation to include the bugs ?

Shall I tell all staff they cannot change marital status or go into a witness relocation program ?

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ian, have you made any progress on this?

I haven't started an incident yet but would rather not be given the runaround of "working as designed" if you found a way to work around this.

Thanks,

Heath
0 Likes
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The issue of users not being removed from iFolder after they are either renamed or removed from eDirectory seems to have been resolved in a December 2010 patch for iFolder 3.8 The relevent bug for this issue is here: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=587912

I just patched to ifolder3-enterprise-3.8.0.10303.1-0.6.1 on OES2 SP2 and have finally got users removed after the grace period and ifolders orphaned. I also confirmed that changing a username in eDirectory results in iFolder importing the new username as a user in iFolder and marking the old name as disabled. The old user is subsequently removed and iFolders orphaned.

There is also the following bug: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=586871

This one indicates that code is being or has been developed to resolve this more gracefully and push the name change into iFolder without the remove user/orphan iFolder/reassign iFolder procedure. It states this fix is targeted for OES2 SP3. I haven't upgraded my iFolder server to SP3 yet but I do plan to very soon to test this.

Hopefully this information is helpful to someone else. I had been religiously patching and hoping for a fix for this but had given up for awhile. I happened upon the bugzilla pages and my hope in iFolder is renewed.
0 Likes
sinnwellr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did get a notification from Novell regarding this update to fix the bug. One question they were not able to answer for me is if this update would require a new iFolder client be deployed to each user. We're currently using 3.8.0.5 and if this requires a client upgrade, it will be a more planned update. If I can get by with updating this and not forcing all the clients to upgrade over the WAN it would be something I can just do any time I'm ready. Do you know if this forces an update?

Ryan Sinnwell Infrastructure Manager The Weitz Company
0 Likes
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ryan,

Every ifolder update that I've run pushes a client update by default. There is a version.config file that controls this. Since older clients seem to work just fine on newer server versions, I've made it a general practice to let users keep their current version without being forced to update everytime I patch the server hoping for a fix for this username issue (that seems to be resolved now).

I just copy the current version.config to a version.config.x.x.x.x (representing the version referenced in the file) in the same directory, then patch the server, then rename the new file to version.config.x.x.x.x and copy the one I want to use back to the original name. If you look at these files in a text editor you can see the format very clearly so feel free to modify the file itself if that suits you better.

I believe we're currently running client 3.8.0.3 for most of my users. I will push the latest (3.8.0.8?) sometime soon, but I like to give my users a heads up first. Having good release notes on what the client revisions fix/address would be helpful in my decision to push newer ones, but I haven't been able to find this anywhere.

Hope that helps,

Heath
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.