Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

extremely low ltch

We have a NW6.5sp7 server with extremely low long term cache hits. I've been watching it for a few months and things seemed to be running ok but ltch is now down to 13% and the server is sluggish, especially communicating with the rest of the servers. I've attached the config.txt file... any configuration suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Teh long term cache hits only refer to the traditional file system. In your case, the SYS volume is traditional. The low ltch value is explained by the fact that most of the data read form sYS is the NLMs that are loaded on the server, and as these are only loaded once, they are loaded form disk and not from memory. You can actually see how menalingless the ltch value is by looking at the LRU setting time which is equal to the server up time. That means that the server never had to throw anything away from cache. This is of course because the LRU stting time also only refers to traditional volumes.
All in all, these cache statistics are completely unrelated to any possible slowness of your server. You need to look elsewhere. Maybe you should start looking at your lan driver statistics to see if it doesn't show any excessive errors.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bwheeler;1852361 wrote:
We have a NW6.5sp7 server with extremely low long term cache hits. I've been watching it for a few months and things seemed to be running ok but ltch is now down to 13% and the server is sluggish, especially communicating with the rest of the servers. I've attached the config.txt file... any configuration suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

(As an aside, I have to say that when I looked at your subject line, I could have sworn it said "extremely low itch".)

In addition to what Marcel wrote, you might also check to make sure your NSS volume isn't full of deleted files, and also make sure that all or most of the files on the volume are not flagged as immediate-compress. This will cause your server CPU utilization to be high, and responsiveness to suffer.

Is it sluggish all the time, or just at certain times?

Sam

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for responding so quickly... I took some time off so am just checking back. "Extremely low ltch"... hmm - I guess that could be a personal problem! The slow down is most noticeable when adding users or managing anything in nds - it appears to be the last server to synch on the network. This server "crashed" a year or so ago and I'm not sure the replicas were put back the same as they had been. As long as the LTCH is ok being so low - I'll start looking elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

First thing to check is whether you have 1 dual-core CPU, or have hyperthreading turned on. Go into server bios and if there is HT disable it - this is almost certainly the source of your slowness.

I'd also put SP8 on this server, and allow it to update drivers. Then from here Nw65sp8 - CoolSolutionsWiki update NSS, iPrint and eDirectory.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks - I'll give it all a try.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.