Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
970 views

from nw65sp8 to oes2sp1(linux)

so from what i understand, i can go slow and take my time migrating my netware servers over to oes2. i have about a dozen netware servers in my tree.

1) my question... does the first server i migrate have to contain eDir? or can i start easy and move one of my application servers?

2) also, just to verify in my head - my tree will then contain mixed netware and linux servers, and this is ok until i get everything migrated, correct?

3) my netware servers are all at sp8 with edir at version 8.7.x - will this be ok for migration, or MUST i upgrade eDir to 8.8.x first???
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: from nw65sp8 to oes2sp1(linux)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

1. Don't think so, but wait until somebody who knows responds.

2. Definitely okay. eDir is eDir is eDir.

3. You'll be fined with mixed versions but you may want to add a box
temporarily with 8.8.x just so you have the schema from 8.8.x in the tree
before you are actually adding boxes that matter. You'll likely be fine
on your own without that, though.

Good luck.





ensanian wrote:
> so from what i understand, i can go slow and take my time migrating my
> netware servers over to oes2. i have about a dozen netware servers in my
> tree.
>
> 1) my question... does the first server i migrate have to contain eDir?
> or can i start easy and move one of my application servers?
>
> 2) also, just to verify in my head - my tree will then contain mixed
> netware and linux servers, and this is ok until i get everything
> migrated, correct?
>
> 3) my netware servers are all at sp8 with edir at version 8.7.x - will
> this be ok for migration, or MUST i upgrade eDir to 8.8.x first???
>
>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
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=/7Wc
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: from nw65sp8 to oes2sp1(linux)

ensanian wrote:

>
> so from what i understand, i can go slow and take my time migrating my
> netware servers over to oes2. i have about a dozen netware servers in
> my tree.
>
> 1) my question... does the first server i migrate have to contain
> eDir? or can i start easy and move one of my application servers?


All servers (OES Linux and NetWare) always contain eDirectory.

> 2) also, just to verify in my head - my tree will then contain mixed
> netware and linux servers, and this is ok until i get everything
> migrated, correct?


As AB already said, yes no problem.

> 3) my netware servers are all at sp8 with edir at version 8.7.x - will
> this be ok for migration, or MUST i upgrade eDir to 8.8.x first???


Nope


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: from nw65sp8 to oes2sp1(linux)

edmaa;1825456 wrote:
ensanian wrote:
> 1) my question... does the first server i migrate have to contain
> eDir? or can i start easy and move one of my application servers?

All servers (OES Linux and NetWare) always contain eDirectory.


I believe what I meant was a server containing a replica of NDS.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: from nw65sp8 to oes2sp1(linux)

edmaa;1825456 wrote:
ensanian wrote:


> 3) my netware servers are all at sp8 with edir at version 8.7.x - will
> this be ok for migration, or MUST i upgrade eDir to 8.8.x first???


Nope



I keep finding conflicting information on this.. such as this page...
Novell Documentation that states: NetWare 6.5 SP7 or later and eDirectory 8.8.x or later

So the million dollar question is, do I either...
A) use the "netware to oes2" migration tool to "transfer server id" my nw65sp8 servers with eDir version 8.7.x to oes2 (onto new hardware, which im doing); and then upgrade to eDir 8.8.x
- OR -
B) upgrade my servers first to eDir 8.8.x, AND THEN use the migration tools to upgrade from nw65sp8 with eDir 8.8.x to oes2
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: from nw65sp8 to oes2sp1(linux)

ensanian wrote:


> I keep finding conflicting information on this.. such as this page...
> 'Novell Documentation'
> (http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/mig_tools_lx/?page=/document
> ation/oes2/mig_tools_lx/data/bfkh5et.html) that states: -*NetWare
> 6.5 SP7 or later and eDirectory 8.8.x or later*-
>
> So the million dollar question is, do I either...
> *A)* use the "netware to oes2" migration tool to "transfer server id"
> my nw65sp8 servers with eDir version 8.7.x to oes2 (onto new hardware,
> which im doing); and then upgrade to eDir 8.8.x
> - OR -
> *B)* upgrade my servers first to eDir 8.8.x, AND THEN use the
> migration tools to upgrade from nw65sp8 with eDir 8.8.x to oes2


edir 8.7.3 and 8.8 work fine together so no need to upgrade I'd say.

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.