Welcome Serena Central users!
The migration of the Serena Central community is happening today. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
lywwing Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3034 views

how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP3 ?

hi,

how to upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP3?
What is the safe path?

Thanks...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

lywwing;2094918 wrote:
how to upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP3?
What is the safe path?


The supported path[1] is a two-stage upgrade: the first from SLES10 SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10 SP3 + OES2 SP2a and then the second to SLES10 SP3 + OES2 SP3.

The safest way of doing that is via a down-server upgrade using media rather than an online upgrade via the patch channel (which should only be offering you move-to-oes2-sp2 and not move-to-oes2-sp3).

If you want to go directly from SLES10 SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10 SP3 + OES2 SP3 then you would need to perform a migration and it would involve two servers (or you back up your data, do a new install of OES2 SP3 on the existing server and then restore data).

HTH.

[1] see Novell Doc: OES 2 SP3: Installation Guide - Supported Upgrade Paths
0 Likes
lywwing Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

Hi,
Thanks for you good suggestion.
I please SLES 10 SP3 disc into SLES 10 SP2 + OES2 SP1b, select upgrade option, it get many rpm dependency conflict, all I select is 'ignore' to continuous upgrade, and finally I need upgrade twice times than seems success upgrade to SLES 10 SP3.

May I ask how from upgrade OES2 SP1b to OES2 SP2a then OES2 SP3?

Many thanks...



smflood;2094933 wrote:
The supported path[1] is a two-stage upgrade: the first from SLES10 SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10 SP3 + OES2 SP2a and then the second to SLES10 SP3 + OES2 SP3.

The safest way of doing that is via a down-server upgrade using media rather than an online upgrade via the patch channel (which should only be offering you move-to-oes2-sp2 and not move-to-oes2-sp3).

If you want to go directly from SLES10 SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10 SP3 + OES2 SP3 then you would need to perform a migration and it would involve two servers (or you back up your data, do a new install of OES2 SP3 on the existing server and then restore data).

HTH.

[1] see Novell Doc: OES 2 SP3: Installation Guide - Supported Upgrade Paths
0 Likes
dbgallo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

you might want to do the migration path AND go to 64Bit if you can. It should make life easier in the long run for you
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP3 ?

On 11/04/2011 15:36, lywwing wrote:

> Thanks for you good suggestion.
> I please SLES 10 SP3 disc into SLES 10 SP2 + OES2 SP1b, select upgrade
> option, it get many rpm dependency conflict, all I select is 'ignore' to
> continuous upgrade, and finally I need upgrade twice times than seems
> success upgrade to SLES 10 SP3.


Which RPMs are coming up as dependency conflicts?
Are they ones with names starting 'novell-'?
Are you checking the box to "Include Add-On Products from Separate
Media" and then browsing/pointing to the OES2 SP2a CD/location?

> May I ask how from upgrade OES2 SP1b to OES2 SP2a then OES2 SP3?


See TID 7002118. Whilst it's labelled as for upgrading for OES2 to OES2
SP1 it also applies for OES2 SP1 to OES2 SP2.

You may also find a Cool Solutions article -
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/9298/patching-and-upgrading-oes2-sp1-oes2-sp2
- useful.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
lywwing Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

hi,
Following successful upgrade, but when upgrade, it get following error.
Waiting for device /dev/sdb2 to adppear ....... not found --exiting to /bin/sh

I need reboot server, select Upgrade again, and it seem able to upgrade to SP3 and OES2 SP2a.

The /dev/sdb2 is holding Netware partition that have 2 NSS volumes reside.

I try to use evms to mount but fail, how to bypass this problem?

Many thanks...




smflood;2095151 wrote:
On 11/04/2011 15:36, lywwing wrote:

> Thanks for you good suggestion.
> I please SLES 10 SP3 disc into SLES 10 SP2 + OES2 SP1b, select upgrade
> option, it get many rpm dependency conflict, all I select is 'ignore' to
> continuous upgrade, and finally I need upgrade twice times than seems
> success upgrade to SLES 10 SP3.


Which RPMs are coming up as dependency conflicts?
Are they ones with names starting 'novell-'?
Are you checking the box to "Include Add-On Products from Separate
Media" and then browsing/pointing to the OES2 SP2a CD/location?

> May I ask how from upgrade OES2 SP1b to OES2 SP2a then OES2 SP3?


See TID 7002118. Whilst it's labelled as for upgrading for OES2 to OES2
SP1 it also applies for OES2 SP1 to OES2 SP2.

You may also find a Cool Solutions article -
Patching and Upgrading OES 2 SP1 to OES 2 SP2 | Novell User Communities
- useful.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Highlighted
lywwing Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

hi,
The /dev/sdb2 doesn't existing in the /dev/, how come it would say this error?

Thanks...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

My experience has been that if the boot process cannot see /dev/sdwhatever that you've possibly used EVMS for your root/boot stuff?

Normally I just use native Linux partitions for /boot and /

In that case, the ONLY time I've had an upgrade prevent the / partition from mounting is when I used the NON-kernel qlogic disk drivers as those had parameters in them that were invalid with newer kernels.

You mentioned a NETWARE partition? If this is OES2 you shouldn't have any Netware stuff. Should normally be native Linux and then if you're using NSS, you'd have a dedicated EVMS/NSS partition somewhere.

My GUESS is that since it's exited you to /bin/sh that your /dev/sdb2 is NOT holding just NSS stuff. That wont' prevent the OES2 server from booting. It sure sounds like you've got your boot and/or root code on /dev/sdb2 . Only other possibility is that /dev/sdb2 really DOES hold just NSS and somehow your /boot/grub/menu.lst and your /etc/fstab got mangled and told the OS that / is on /dev/sdb2.
0 Likes
lywwing Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

hi,
yes, it really show 'Novell Netware', but I can't upload the screen shot here.

It show:
System Partition Architecture File System
Unknown or Non-Linux /dev/sdb1 Unknown Novell NetWare
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP3 ?

On 21/04/2011 06:36, lywwing wrote:

> yes, it really show 'Novell Netware', but I can't upload the screen
> shot here.
>
> It show:
> System Partition Architecture
> File System
> Unknown or Non-Linux /dev/sdb1 Unknown Novell
> NetWare


Are you using EVMS to manage your system device so you can have NSS
pools & volumes on that same drive?

/dev/sdb1 is the first partition on what I would expect to be the second
disk in the server. "Novell NetWare" indicates it's NSS.

Can you post the output from "fdisk -l" so we can see what your disk
partitions are?

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
lywwing Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

hi,

staff:~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 158G 3.5G 155G 3% /
udev 761M 184K 760M 1% /dev
/dev/evms/DATA 160G 487M 160G 1% /opt/novell/nss/mnt/.pools/DATA
admin 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /_admin
DATA 160G 592K 160G 1% /media/nss/DATA


Thanks




smflood;2098715 wrote:
On 21/04/2011 06:36, lywwing wrote:

> yes, it really show 'Novell Netware', but I can't upload the screen
> shot here.
>
> It show:
> System Partition Architecture
> File System
> Unknown or Non-Linux /dev/sdb1 Unknown Novell
> NetWare


Are you using EVMS to manage your system device so you can have NSS
pools & volumes on that same drive?

/dev/sdb1 is the first partition on what I would expect to be the second
disk in the server. "Novell NetWare" indicates it's NSS.

Can you post the output from "fdisk -l" so we can see what your disk
partitions are?

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP3 ?

On 22/04/2011 15:06, lywwing wrote:

> staff:~ # df -h


That's great but I asked for "fdisk -l" ...
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
0 Likes
lywwing Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: how upgrade SLES10SP2 + OES2 SP1b to SLES10SP3 + OES2 SP

hi,
I always overlook.

staff:~ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 171.7 GB, 171798691840 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20886 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 262 2104483+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2 * 263 20886 165662280 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 171.7 GB, 171798691840 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 41120 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 41120 167769584 65 Novell Netware 386

Disk /dev/dm-0: 171.7 GB, 171796054016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20886 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/dm-0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/dm-1: 171.7 GB, 171796037632 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20886 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/dm-1 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/dm-2: 171.7 GB, 171796037632 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20886 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/dm-2 doesn't contain a valid partition table
staff:~ #







smflood;2099404 wrote:
On 22/04/2011 15:06, lywwing wrote:

> staff:~ # df -h


That's great but I asked for "fdisk -l" ...
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.