Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Sadly - this solution is not working for me - Using Gnome with OpenSUSE 11.1 and theres quite a bit in there which objects to the older versions of gconf-sharp 😞

Richard Brown // Systems Engineering Team Leader // City College Brighton and Hove
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Hopefully Anders will get word from someone at Novell now that they're back. I don't really want a mutant 11.0/11.1 system, but I had to do the upgrade over the weekend. So now I'm iFolder-less. 😞
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Rand68,
> Hopefully Anders will get word from someone at Novell now that they're
> back. I don't really want a mutant 11.0/11.1 system, but I had to do
> the upgrade over the weekend. So now I'm iFolder-less. 😞
>

Here is the official reply:

Unfortunately at this time the 3.7 iFolder client is not supported on
openSUSE 11.1. Per the doc:

5.7 Client Computers
The iFolder client supports the following workstation operating
systems:

SLED 10 SP1 (requires Mono 1.2.x for Linux)

Windows 2000/XP with the latest .NET support patches

Macintosh OS X v10.4 and later (requires Mono 1.2.x )

The Mono modules you need for this release are included on the .iso
files for iFolder 3.7

Make sure you have installed the latest critical updates for your
operating system or .NET.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Ok, here's what I did to get it working. I'm hoping it doesn't come back to bite me in the posterior later, but it's working:

I downloaded the client from our OES2 SP1 server and extracted the tar file.

I downloaded log4net 1.2.9 from the 10.3 repositories and put it in the directory created when I extracted the tar file.

I created a local directory repository in YAST that points to the directory referenced above.

I added the mono for 11.0 repository as detailed above.

In Software Management select iFolder to install from the local repository. The autocheck on this will then want to downgrade mono and uninstall a raft of programs that use the newer version of it. Also select the 1.2.9 version of log4net.

Click Accept. Wait for completion.

Run iFolder.

Profit.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Now I have OES2SP1 installed I think I have a comprehensive answer on
installing iFolder 3.7 on OpenSUSE11.1 (at least for 32 bit)

Add the OpenSuse 11 repository in YAST e.g.
(http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/download-stable/openSUSE_11.0/)

In software management delete:
log4net
gconf-sharp2
gnome-sharp2

(this will also delete gnome-vfs-sharp2 & art-sharp2)

You may want to protect those rpm's so they don't auto-upgrade (right click
on them)

Add them back in from the OpenSuse 11.0 repository (under the versions tab)

Install iFolder as normal.

That worked for me.

Dave
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

rand68;1710363 wrote:
Ok, here's what I did to get it working. I'm hoping it doesn't come back to bite me in the posterior later, but it's working:

I downloaded the client from our OES2 SP1 server and extracted the tar file.

I downloaded log4net 1.2.9 from the 10.3 repositories and put it in the directory created when I extracted the tar file.

I created a local directory repository in YAST that points to the directory referenced above.

I added the mono for 11.0 repository as detailed above.

In Software Management select iFolder to install from the local repository. The autocheck on this will then want to downgrade mono and uninstall a raft of programs that use the newer version of it. Also select the 1.2.9 version of log4net.

Click Accept. Wait for completion.

Run iFolder.

Profit.


The problem with the Above solution is that, on a openSUSE 11.1 GNOME Desktop, the uninstallation of a raft of programs include Tomboy, Evolution, and other software I'd much rather not have to do without

Really disappointing, you'd think that Novell would try and provide a solution to this rather than provide a generic 'its not supported on that version' fob-off.... if a Windows user and a Mac User has the option to use the latest and greatest versions of their platforms, how come a Linux user has to downgrade to a version which is starting to look increasingly long in the tooth?

Richard Brown // Systems Engineering Team Leader // City College Brighton and Hove
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:24:43 +0000, David Frost wrote:

> Now I have OES2SP1 installed I think I have a comprehensive answer on
> installing iFolder 3.7 on OpenSUSE11.1 (at least for 32 bit)
>
> Add the OpenSuse 11 repository in YAST e.g.
> (http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/download-stable/openSUSE_11.0/)
>
> In software management delete:
> log4net
> gconf-sharp2
> gnome-sharp2
>
> (this will also delete gnome-vfs-sharp2 & art-sharp2)
>
> You may want to protect those rpm's so they don't auto-upgrade (right
> click on them)
>
> Add them back in from the OpenSuse 11.0 repository (under the versions
> tab)
>
> Install iFolder as normal.
>
> That worked for me.
>
> Dave


I guess you're running KDE. When using Gnome this will impact many other
applications like F-Spot, Evolution, Tomboy....

Regards,
Magnus
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

RBrownCCB;1710954 wrote:
The problem with the Above solution is that, on a openSUSE 11.1 GNOME Desktop, the uninstallation of a raft of programs include Tomboy, Evolution, and other software I'd much rather not have to do without

Really disappointing, you'd think that Novell would try and provide a solution to this rather than provide a generic 'its not supported on that version' fob-off.... if a Windows user and a Mac User has the option to use the latest and greatest versions of their platforms, how come a Linux user has to downgrade to a version which is starting to look increasingly long in the tooth?


Yep, those are the ones that got nuked. I don't use them so it was a small loss for me. If you're a Gnome user it's a real problem.

I do hope that someday soon there's a version that works with 11.1.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Yeah good point well made, I am running KDE, gnome would be more
problematic.

Initially I tried creating soft links to the relevant files trying to spoof
the old versions but that didn't work either.

good luck folks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Hi magnus,

Try the following:
Download log4net 1.2.9 from the following links
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/oss/suse/noarch/log4net-1.2.9-104.noarch.rpm

# rpm -e log4net
# rpm -Uvh log4net-1.2.9-104.noarch.rpm
# rpm -Uvh simias-1.8.0.8339.1-0.3.i586.rpm

You can ignore the dependency on gconf-sharp. I forced install ifolder3-3.7 rpm:
# rpm -Uvh --nodeps ifolder3-3.7.1.8339.1-1.i586.rpm

and change the MONO_PATH export in /usr/bin/ifolder to the following

export MONO_PATH=/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib:/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib/simias/web/bin:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/mono/gtk-sharp-2.0:$MONO_PATH

Let me know how it goes. It works for me 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

Hi magnus,

Try the following:
Download log4net 1.2.9 from the following links
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/oss/suse/noarch/log4net-1.2.9-104.noarch.rpm

# rpm -e log4net
# rpm -Uvh log4net-1.2.9-104.noarch.rpm
# rpm -Uvh simias-1.8.0.8339.1-0.3.i586.rpm

You can ignore the dependency on gconf-sharp. I forced install ifolder3-3.7 rpm:
# rpm -Uvh --nodeps ifolder3-3.7.1.8339.1-1.i586.rpm

and change the MONO_PATH export in /usr/bin/ifolder to the following

export MONO_PATH=/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib:/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib/simias/web/bin:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/mono/gtk-sharp-2.0:$MONO_PATH

Let me know how it goes. It works for me 🙂 and it works with GNOME...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder 3.7 on openSUSE 11.1

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:06:02 +0000, davidtio wrote:

> Hi magnus,
>
> Try the following:
> Download log4net 1.2.9 from the following links
> http://tinyurl.com/8uqe7t
>
> # rpm -e log4net
> # rpm -Uvh log4net-1.2.9-104.noarch.rpm # rpm -Uvh
> simias-1.8.0.8339.1-0.3.i586.rpm
>
> You can ignore the dependency on gconf-sharp. I forced install
> ifolder3-3.7 rpm:
> # rpm -Uvh --nodeps ifolder3-3.7.1.8339.1-1.i586.rpm
>
> and change the MONO_PATH export in /usr/bin/ifolder to the following
>
> export
> MONO_PATH=/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib:/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib/simias/web/

bin:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/mono/gtk-sharp-2.0:$MONO_PATH
>
> Let me know how it goes. It works for me 🙂 and it works with GNOME...


Hi

Yes it works, thanx a lot 🙂

Magnus
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.