Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iFolder on a shared PC ---> another aspect of the same issue

Hi all out there!

I've followed a number of threads related with shared PCs, multiple Windows accounts in the same PC, but I have not been able yet to find a solution about how manage the following situation (iFolder 2.1 on a NW65sp3 server):
A computer shared by several users
Each of them has her/his own Windows/Novell Netware account
They use the same iFolder user to synchronize common folders
I understand that iFolder is primarily intended to the synchronization of personal folders, but it is really useful to synchronize "task related folders" where several users are involved. Of course I am aware that using iFolder this way we lost, among other things, the possibility of knowing who and when change/delete a file, but for some tasks to have a Novell Netware user assigned to a directory and to use this user to propagate and keep updated the contents of this directory is rather useful for us.

As far as I see, the Windows registry holds a per user key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell iFolder. Each user has a \[username]\Home branch where at least one attribute, UserName, is related with the iFolder login process once an user log into the desktop. By editing this attribute we can change the Windows user related with each iFolder login. There is there another attribute, Ver2Login, with default value 1. I am not able to find any documentation about this attributes and I am guessing if any other value could prevent Windows to check what user is logged into the workstation and to allow any user to login into iFolder with the concerned iFolder one. Is that possible?

I do prefer to post this doubt here before going ahead with any further trial on our production environment.

Thank you so much for your help,

Ricardo
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: iFolder on a shared PC ---> another aspect of the same issue

I'll ask

Suzanne Miles
Volunteer Sysop, Novell Support Connection
http://support.novell.com/forums/
0 Likes
Absent Member.

TX!

Looking for news,

Ricardo
0 Likes
Absent Member.

My Novell contact is talking to her contacts. Unfortunately, so far no
responses... 😞

Suzanne Miles
0 Likes
Absent Member.

From engineering

You are correct, UserName attribute is referred to check if the Windows
user is the one who has used it earlier. If you change it to current
logged in username, iFolder will be able to login to the account or
else it would give error "You must be logged in as <windows username>
for your iFolder login request".

Are you suggesting us to have a facility where this check in not done
so that any Windows User can connect to iFolder account and modify the
contents in the folder assigned to him.

Please provide more info on the requirements of the customer so that we
could take it further and see if we can provide the solution/
workaround for the same.

As per my current understanding Ver2Login in not used

Suzanne Miles
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks, Suzanne,

From your previous message:

"Are you suggesting us to have a facility where this check in not done
so that any Windows User can connect to iFolder account and modify the
contents in the folder assigned to him?"

Yes, I think this is the point. This trick is of course useful to better protect the files of an user, but being iFolder based on eDirectory security it could be useful to control the possibility of modification of the contents assigned to an iFolder user to any Windows user that know the iFolder username, password and encryption phrase.

Our example: several users are sharing a common local directory needed to store both data and code for a particular analysis tool. It is useful for us to have a tool to replicate this directory structure in several computers (desktop PCs and laptops assigned to this task). We have created an user object and assigned it this structure. Any Windows user must be able to login with this particular iFolder user to update concerned directory.

Now, we have to force users to login into Windows with the same Windows user or to have administrative privileges to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell iFolder\Username attribute and this compromises security more than having an option to allow any Windows user to modify the contents in the folder assigned to the user an iFolder one.

Any input will be welcome!

Cheers,

Ricardo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

By the way: I have not tried/analyse documentation iFolder 3.0 yet. But even though a possible solution to this issue could be in the new release, I think it could be useful to find some kind of solution for previous versions running on Netware platform. Thanks.

Best,

Ricardo
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.