Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iManager crashes when trying to configure CIFS on OES11

We've recently been building several OES11 servers to migrate from OES2 to OES11.

We were hoping on leveraging CIFS for some of our more tech-savvy users to have the ability to mount some CIFS shares on their Macs, linux, etc.

That being said, I have a server that, when I attempt to change its CIFS options/settings, eventually times out (error 500) in my browser and prevents all access to iManager using that browser session. I've tried this with 3 different browsers on 3 different iManager installs, all with the same results.

I don't know if this has any impact, but the server that I am attempting to configure also tends to give me issues running X over SSH, and even just a simple SSH session. I connect, and it can sit there indefinitely until I CTRL+C which then allows me to run commands. If I happened to pass X11 along over that session, however, the commands simply don't work and I have to CTRL+C to get back. If a command has a UI option to display, it hangs the process. Again, not certain if relevant, but very annoying.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. My knowledge in iManager is not very versed, but I know my way around and have some advanced back-end knowledge in linux, etc.

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

beaujona;2270042 wrote:
We've recently been building several OES11 servers to migrate from OES2 to OES11.

We were hoping on leveraging CIFS for some of our more tech-savvy users to have the ability to mount some CIFS shares on their Macs, linux, etc.

That being said, I have a server that, when I attempt to change its CIFS options/settings, eventually times out (error 500) in my browser and prevents all access to iManager using that browser session. I've tried this with 3 different browsers on 3 different iManager installs, all with the same results.

I don't know if this has any impact, but the server that I am attempting to configure also tends to give me issues running X over SSH, and even just a simple SSH session. I connect, and it can sit there indefinitely until I CTRL+C which then allows me to run commands. If I happened to pass X11 along over that session, however, the commands simply don't work and I have to CTRL+C to get back. If a command has a UI option to display, it hangs the process. Again, not certain if relevant, but very annoying.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. My knowledge in iManager is not very versed, but I know my way around and have some advanced back-end knowledge in linux, etc.

Thanks

It's definitely a bug (IMO) in OES11. I have the same thing happen on over 30 servers, and there's another thread below this one with similar issues.

There's TWO issues, IMO.

While I can probably get you working so that iManager won't crash, you will probably still be unable to manage any storage (you'll get the error, but iManager won't crash).
At least that's where I'm at right now.

Use this TID
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7007649

The minute I set the setting to "0" and restart, I no longer have tomcat puke/die on me (set the settings on the OES11 servers I'm trying to get to)

However, I instead get:

Error: Storage Error

CIMOM error occurred: could not seek in the management file.

So that's why I say that more than likely there's TWO different issues and I've not been able to get the 2nd one resolved (and others are having the same issues as well).
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the quick reply; I think this is a first time for me receiving an answer within that timeframe lol (sometimes I wait weeks for even 1 answer)

I made the changes, but I don't think it fixed my issue. Mine causes iManager to lock up almost instantly after having picked my server.

So, I click on File Protocols, then select CIFS

I browse/search for my server, press OK. The second I do this, it just sits and hangs and eventually just times out. From then on, I can't access iManager from that browser. I just retried using IE9 on Win7, now I can't access iManager any longer.

If I try with another server, I don't seem to have this issue. This is incredibly frustrating lol

Any other advice, or do you still believe this is the underlying issue?

I had a couple other tasks to complete using iManager today, and I can't even seem to run them from this box. If I access another browser/box, iManager is "running" until I attempt this step, but now that I've attempted on IE/firefox/chrome, I can't user either of those browsers.

Thanks for the help

kjhurni;2270047 wrote:
It's definitely a bug (IMO) in OES11. I have the same thing happen on over 30 servers, and there's another thread below this one with similar issues.

There's TWO issues, IMO.

While I can probably get you working so that iManager won't crash, you will probably still be unable to manage any storage (you'll get the error, but iManager won't crash).
At least that's where I'm at right now.

Use this TID
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7007649

The minute I set the setting to "0" and restart, I no longer have tomcat puke/die on me (set the settings on the OES11 servers I'm trying to get to)

However, I instead get:

Error: Storage Error

CIMOM error occurred: could not seek in the management file.

So that's why I say that more than likely there's TWO different issues and I've not been able to get the 2nd one resolved (and others are having the same issues as well).
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

beaujona;2270052 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply; I think this is a first time for me receiving an answer within that timeframe lol (sometimes I wait weeks for even 1 answer)

I made the changes, but I don't think it fixed my issue. Mine causes iManager to lock up almost instantly after having picked my server.

So, I click on File Protocols, then select CIFS

I browse/search for my server, press OK. The second I do this, it just sits and hangs and eventually just times out. From then on, I can't access iManager from that browser. I just retried using IE9 on Win7, now I can't access iManager any longer.

If I try with another server, I don't seem to have this issue. This is incredibly frustrating lol

Any other advice, or do you still believe this is the underlying issue?

I had a couple other tasks to complete using iManager today, and I can't even seem to run them from this box. If I access another browser/box, iManager is "running" until I attempt this step, but now that I've attempted on IE/firefox/chrome, I can't user either of those browsers.

Thanks for the help

I had the same issue as you with iMan/tomcat locking up. Once I made the change, per the TID, it stopped that. So at least I can get iManager working. However the File Protocols, and Storage (anything using the sfbk I think) fails.

Ultimately when iManager stops responding you'll need to get it working again by simply restarting tomcat:

rcnovell-tomcat5 restart

There's another TID (I'll have to dig it up) on how to enable the debug mode for imanager. I think you go into imanager -> Configure (the button on the top), imanager server -> logging and enable debug logging (dont' forget to turn it off).

--Kevin
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I ended up rebuilding the server that was giving me issues today, and this time I made sure CIFS was setup properly throughout the installation.

I am, however, going to be checking tomorrow if I can go and tweak the settings in the CIFS module since I want to give some users a 'drop box' type of folder to send me files in for some testing I am doing.

Thanks again for the advice and help, the knowledge I gain from these forums is always incredibly welcome!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

beaujona;2270187 wrote:
I ended up rebuilding the server that was giving me issues today, and this time I made sure CIFS was setup properly throughout the installation.

I am, however, going to be checking tomorrow if I can go and tweak the settings in the CIFS module since I want to give some users a 'drop box' type of folder to send me files in for some testing I am doing.

Thanks again for the advice and help, the knowledge I gain from these forums is always incredibly welcome!

For us, we found out from NTS that you had to do this:

(OES11.x only)

type:

namconfig get

Check to see if there's a line:
dont-deny-pamservice=yes

If the line is missing, then type:
namconfig set dont-deny-pamservice=yes

then restart tomcat:
rcnovell-tomcat6 restart

it fixed it for us.
0 Likes
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

kjhurni - thanks so much for posting the fix! I've been getting "CIMOM error occurred: could not seek in the management file" on both Storage and Cluster plugins. Spent lots of time debugging with all the TIDs I could find, none of them helped, but the fix you posted did. Thanks so much!!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.