NOTICE: Significant community changes coming soon
The header menu and the home page on our community will be changing soon. Get more information HERE.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4391 views

iManager so Slow!!

Hello, we about 10 VM servers running SLES 11sp1 and OES11, 8GB RAM and 2CPUs. Anyway, I manager 2.7.4 is so slow in all servers, it takes about 5 minutes to load in IE or Firefox. Then Changing pages takes a few minutes too.
I been googling for a while but no luck, I don't even know how to start troubleshooting.
Anybody have the same issue?
Any help greatly appreciated?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

hme0;2249270 wrote:
Hello, we about 10 VM servers running SLES 11sp1 and OES11, 8GB RAM and 2CPUs. Anyway, I manager 2.7.4 is so slow in all servers, it takes about 5 minutes to load in IE or Firefox. Then Changing pages takes a few minutes too.
I been googling for a while but no luck, I don't even know how to start troubleshooting.
Anybody have the same issue?
Any help greatly appreciated?


Hmm, iManager is actually pretty fast (once tomcat initializes here). Both OES2 and OES11
But you don't mention if the requirements/hardware you listed is for each VM or is that total for the ESXi Host it's on (assuming Vmware)?
If it's vmware, have you installed the vmware tools?

I've got a VMware Guest for OES2 SP3 32-bit with a measily 512 MB of RAM and iManager runs much faster than what you describe.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Each virtual server has 8gb RAM and 2 CPUS, and yes I Installed the VMware tools. Maybe it is something wrong with the our network

kjhurni;2249312 wrote:
Hmm, iManager is actually pretty fast (once tomcat initializes here). Both OES2 and OES11
But you don't mention if the requirements/hardware you listed is for each VM or is that total for the ESXi Host it's on (assuming Vmware)?
If it's vmware, have you installed the vmware tools?

I've got a VMware Guest for OES2 SP3 32-bit with a measily 512 MB of RAM and iManager runs much faster than what you describe.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

hme0 wrote:

> Any help greatly appreciated?


Have you tried searching the knowledgebase?
http://www.novell.com/support/

TID 7009616
Virtual SLES11SP1 shows bad IO performance when accessing raw disks
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7009616


There are a number of performance issues related to TCP Offloading.
Search the knowledgebase for "offload".

See TID 7005304
Howto change network specific settings using ethtool in combination
with NetworkManager
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7005304

No guarantees this is your issue but it's something to check.


--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Great I will try your suggestions. I reinstalled tomcat amd iManager did not help.

KBOYLE;2249537 wrote:
hme0 wrote:

> Any help greatly appreciated?


Have you tried searching the knowledgebase?
Support | Novell

TID 7009616
Virtual SLES11SP1 shows bad IO performance when accessing raw disks
Support | Virtual SLES11SP1 shows bad IO performance when accessing raw disks


There are a number of performance issues related to TCP Offloading.
Search the knowledgebase for "offload".

See TID 7005304
Howto change network specific settings using ethtool in combination
with NetworkManager
Support | Howto change network specific settings using ethtool in combination with NetworkManager

No guarantees this is your issue but it's something to check.


--
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

do all your edir servers reside i nthe same subnet or location?

i've found with one place I look after that imanager is dog slow (10 mins to get it logged in...) - this is because we have no local replica of the server and it's objects (don't ask) and imanager seems to need to cross the wan link to get going

maybe a trace on edir trafic might shed some light on whats going on, or simply looking at your network stats on the linux boxes to see if you have any errors there too

if you install imanager on a windows workstation and try some things from there, does it still perform slowly?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, Thank you for the reply, yes all the server are in the same Rack in the same subnet. I am beginning to think KBOYLE's suggestion: TID 7009616
Virtual SLES11SP1 shows bad IO performance when accessing raw disks
Support | Virtual SLES11SP1 shows bad IO performance when accessing raw disks

Could be the problem. All the servers with the imanager slowness issues have terabytes of SAN storage attached to them. I have a couple of servers that don't storage attached and imanager is fast!

I added a replica to the one server and still slow. Weird

gleach1;2254489 wrote:
do all your edir servers reside i nthe same subnet or location?

i've found with one place I look after that imanager is dog slow (10 mins to get it logged in...) - this is because we have no local replica of the server and it's objects (don't ask) and imanager seems to need to cross the wan link to get going

maybe a trace on edir trafic might shed some light on whats going on, or simply looking at your network stats on the linux boxes to see if you have any errors there too

if you install imanager on a windows workstation and try some things from there, does it still perform slowly?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello again, I mentioned that I added a replica to the server with the slow iManager, I never restarted Tomcat(I thought I didn't need to) so I did and iManager is normal now!! Thanks for the hint!

gleach1;2254489 wrote:
do all your edir servers reside i nthe same subnet or location?

i've found with one place I look after that imanager is dog slow (10 mins to get it logged in...) - this is because we have no local replica of the server and it's objects (don't ask) and imanager seems to need to cross the wan link to get going

maybe a trace on edir trafic might shed some light on whats going on, or simply looking at your network stats on the linux boxes to see if you have any errors there too

if you install imanager on a windows workstation and try some things from there, does it still perform slowly?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I thought putting a replica on the server fixed but is back to normal "very slow"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

We have the same issue with 3 different servers running iManager. Login takes 3- 5 minutes, it's ridiculous. All three servers have replicas, all three are xen-based virtuals. They also have SAN disks, but only for the NSS DATA volume, the OS itself (from which iManager runs) is on local disks (blade server) so I doubt messing with the scheduler would help much here.
We also noticed that iManager is fast for a brief time after restarting tomcat, but after a day or two, it's logins slow back to a crawl. We never really had this issue until we had more admins stop using ConsoleOne and start using iManager, so it seems to be sort of a load issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

lpphiggp;2405335 wrote:
We have the same issue with 3 different servers running iManager. Login takes 3- 5 minutes, it's ridiculous. All three servers have replicas, all three are xen-based virtuals. They also have SAN disks, but only for the NSS DATA volume, the OS itself (from which iManager runs) is on local disks (blade server) so I doubt messing with the scheduler would help much here.
We also noticed that iManager is fast for a brief time after restarting tomcat, but after a day or two, it's logins slow back to a crawl. We never really had this issue until we had more admins stop using ConsoleOne and start using iManager, so it seems to be sort of a load issue.


What OES version?
What iManager version?
What is the amount of RAM in the DomU? I'm assuming para-virtualized?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Hi kjhurni,

OES11 sp2
iManager 2.74.
These are all recently made vms, within the past year or so.
The RAM varies a bit from vm to vm, but generally there is 8 to 16 GB per machine.
No complaints as to other services (these are all file servers), they're pretty perky in that regard.
Yes, para-virtualized. The NSS DATA volumes are mounted separately of the root file system.
The / file system though is virtual. Of course, all the iManager stuff is on that, not the NSS volumes.
Also, all 3 servers have replicas.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.