Highlighted
jlrodriguez Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

iPrint authentication without Novell Client

Hi,

Is possible to achieve authentication SSO for secure printing without the Novell Client?

The environment:

Server --> OES11 with DSfw and iPrint
Workstation --> Windows 7 without Novell Client

Regards
Jose Luis
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint authentication without Novell Client

jlrodriguez;2181411 wrote:
Hi,

Is possible to achieve authentication SSO for secure printing without the Novell Client?

The environment:

Server --> OES11 with DSfw and iPrint
Workstation --> Windows 7 without Novell Client

Regards
Jose Luis

According to the documentation this was one of the new features in OES11.

Novell secure printing and iPrint Client Management features can now function without the Novell Client component. Users working in Windows and Active Directory environments now can have iPrint Client Management (iCM) and shared login abilities with or without the Novell Client.

Novell Doc: OES 11: iPrint Linux Administration Guide - What’s New in iPrint

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

thsundel;2181415 wrote:
According to the documentation this was one of the new features in OES11.

Novell Doc: OES 11: iPrint Linux Administration Guide - What’s New in iPrint

Thomas

Some more info: Novell Doc: OES 11: iPrint Linux Administration Guide - Using iPrint Client Management

Thomas
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the info. In fact, once authenticated, we can use iPrint ICM. The problem is that the iPrint login appears and we've to authenticate through LDAP. Is there any requirement to have the iPrint client recognizing the Windows credentials and pass them to iPrint?

Regards
Jose Luis
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

jlrodriguez;2181466 wrote:
Thanks for the info. In fact, once authenticated, we can use iPrint ICM. The problem is that the iPrint login appears and we've to authenticate through LDAP. Is there any requirement to have the iPrint client recognizing the Windows credentials and pass them to iPrint?

Regards
Jose Luis

See here: Novell Doc: OES 2 SP3: Domain Services for Windows Administration Guide - Special Handling for iPrint on DSfW

Are you using client 5.72 or later?

Thomas
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hi.
My fault, but I found on the workstation I used for the tests it had version 5.64. After upgraded to 5.78 I have a curious behaviour.
The authentication seems to work correctly, letting to install the authorized printers and preventing to install the printers that the users is not allowed to use.
But, if we look at the iPrint Client, the user credentials are not there, and also is ignoring the ICM configuration (for instance, thouth ICM we put the Print Manager URL and it appears blank on the client).

Regards
Jose Luis
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

jlrodriguez;2181513 wrote:
Hi.
My fault, but I found on the workstation I used for the tests it had version 5.64. After upgraded to 5.78 I have a curious behaviour.
The authentication seems to work correctly, letting to install the authorized printers and preventing to install the printers that the users is not allowed to use.
But, if we look at the iPrint Client, the user credentials are not there, and also is ignoring the ICM configuration (for instance, thouth ICM we put the Print Manager URL and it appears blank on the client).

Regards
Jose Luis

Could you turn on logging for the iPrint client, maybe it will show some useful details: http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=7007023

Thomas
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Thanks Thomas, I'll try it tomorrow.
Regards
Jose Luis
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

I finally found the source of this problem.
As the server has DSfW, I had to put the port 1636 for the eDir iCM server in iprint.ini
iCMDirServer = edirsrv.acme.com:1636

Thanks a lot for your help
Jose Luis
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

jlrodriguez;2181852 wrote:
I finally found the source of this problem.
As the server has DSfW, I had to put the port 1636 for the eDir iCM server in iprint.ini
iCMDirServer = edirsrv.acme.com:1636

Thanks a lot for your help
Jose Luis

Good find, thx for reporting back.

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.