pattymackay Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iPrint migration oes11 to oes11sp2

This summer I have to replace server hardware -- current one is sles11sp1/oes11. I will install sles11sp3/oes11sp2 this summer on a new temp server for the migration and id transfer. Reading up on the migration tool. Wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of in migrating the iPrint environment. The printers are not setup in dns (as we don't use Novell for our DNS server).
Thanks
Patty
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint migration oes11 to oes11sp2

pattymackay;2317440 wrote:
This summer I have to replace server hardware -- current one is sles11sp1/oes11. I will install sles11sp3/oes11sp2 this summer on a new temp server for the migration and id transfer. Reading up on the migration tool. Wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of in migrating the iPrint environment. The printers are not setup in dns (as we don't use Novell for our DNS server).
Thanks
Patty

Well, if you're going on new hardware, you MAY be able to get away with a few things.

Choices (off the top of my head):
1) Use the Consolidation part of the miggui. Downsides to that are that you have to create new driver store/manager and if you're not using DNS, then you'll have some interesting issues (ie, possibly reinstalling on all your pc's). But just because you don't have Novell as your DNS server doesn't mean you can't use DNS names for iPrint. We use Sun Solaris for DNS and we just have our Unix guys adjust/add the DNS entries as necessary and it works fine.

2) IF you're going to use the ID Transfer so that the new server is going to have the same name/IP, then you can probably do this (I only know this because we just had a server blow up):

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3006957

We chose option #1, BUT:
Instead of restoring/copying just the:
/var/opt/novell/iprint/[PSM].[OU]..psm/

We did the:
/var/opt/novell/iprint
directory as that also gets the printer driver profiles and driverstore

IF you choose the above option, I'd suggest that when you install your NEW OES server do NOT configure iPrint (install yes, don't configure it). Then after the ID transfer, copy/restore the configuration files and I THINK you'll be good to go.

3) some other option I'm not aware of.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.