Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1424 views

is novell client needed with Suse OES

I'm about to make a recommendation to my company to go with Suse OES. I
need one last piece of info...Do non-admin users require the novell
client to connect to the Suse OES servers? Can I use Microsoft's Novell
client built into Windows XP Pro? I

Thanks.
Steve
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: is novell client needed with Suse OES

Steve,

> I'm about to make a recommendation to my company to go with Suse OES. I
> need one last piece of info...Do non-admin users require the novell
> client to connect to the Suse OES servers? Can I use Microsoft's Novell
> client built into Windows XP Pro? I


Yes- you don't even need the MS Clie3nt for NetWare: use the MS Client
for MW + samba.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: is novell client needed with Suse OES

Hi,

Steve wrote:
>
> I'm about to make a recommendation to my company to go with Suse OES.


Novell OES PLease. <g> No SuSE in there.

> I
> need one last piece of info...Do non-admin users require the novell
> client to connect to the Suse OES servers?


No, they don't *require* it, but it's one of many options. To use the
full functionality of OES, it's highly recommended though.

> Can I use Microsoft's Novell
> client built into Windows XP Pro?


No, you can't, as that client only supports IPX, but OES only supports
TCP/IP. But as Hamish said, you can also use Samba and the Microsoft
CLient for Windows.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: is novell client needed with Suse OES

So just to make sure I'm not being dumb...

Even though I'm going to be using eDir with IDM on the linux version of
OES to connect to an AD server...I don't need the Novell client on the
end user computers...just the standard MS client...right?

What functionality do I loose?

Thanks!
Steve




Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve wrote:
>
>>I'm about to make a recommendation to my company to go with Suse OES.

>
>
> Novell OES PLease. <g> No SuSE in there.
>
>
>>I
>>need one last piece of info...Do non-admin users require the novell
>>client to connect to the Suse OES servers?

>
>
> No, they don't *require* it, but it's one of many options. To use the
> full functionality of OES, it's highly recommended though.
>
>
>>Can I use Microsoft's Novell
>>client built into Windows XP Pro?

>
>
> No, you can't, as that client only supports IPX, but OES only supports
> TCP/IP. But as Hamish said, you can also use Samba and the Microsoft
> CLient for Windows.
>
> CU,

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: is novell client needed with Suse OES

Steve wrote:
> So just to make sure I'm not being dumb...
> Even though I'm going to be using eDir with IDM on the linux version of
> OES to connect to an AD server...I don't need the Novell client on the
> end user computers...just the standard MS client...right?


Correct.


> What functionality do I loose?


- Native NCP connections that tend to be faster and more efficient than
Samba ones.
- Ability to have a Novell Login Screen that requires login before
workstation use (not an issue if you're joining these computers to your
AD domain, you can just use domain login for that purpose)
- Novell Single Sign On (you're probably not using it anyways)

Outside of that, there's not much that you lose that doesn't have a
decent-enough Active Directory-equivalent.


--
Justin Grote
Network Architect
JWG Networks
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: is novell client needed with Suse OES

Hi,

Steve wrote:
>
> What functionality do I loose?


Apart from what Justin wrote, you'll lose all other functionality the
Novell Client provides. Salvage to name just one.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: is novell client needed with Suse OES

Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Apart from what Justin wrote, you'll lose all other functionality the
> Novell Client provides. Salvage to name just one.


Ah yes, salvage. I was trying to name them all :).


--
Justin Grote
Network Architect
JWG Networks
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: is novell client needed with Suse OES

From a security perspective; as +80% of attackes are on MS products, IE,
Outlook, IIS, MediaPlayer, MS authenications, file share, print share. I try
to avoid these products where possible.

In windows networking - only install TCP/IP. Nothing else MS. Now you'll
need to install Novell client to access file server. Don't add NFA - Native
File Access as this uses the MS protocols we are trying to avoid. (NO MS
network client, NO file nor print share, NO NetBIOS, NO nwlink, nothing but
TCP/IP and Novell client parts you want to use.)

When setup this way, MS own security tools won't find your workstations and
in fact won't find the windows computer it is running on. Hopefully most
worms and trojans won't either.

works for me.

>>> Massimo Rosen<mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de> 11/16/2005 2:58 AM >>>

Hi,

Steve wrote:
>
> What functionality do I loose?


Apart from what Justin wrote, you'll lose all other functionality the
Novell Client provides. Salvage to name just one.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.