syed_17 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

migrating from Netware 6.5 to Oes2018sp1

A very nice explanation indeed. I am facing the similar scenario but the only difference is migrating from Netware 6.5 to Oes2018sp1. We have a lot of Netware 6.5, Oes11sp1/sp2/sp3 and Oes2015sp1 servers in the tree with Netware 6.5 holding the master of root. Looking to migrate to oes2018sp1 but confused about how to proceed. most of the child partitions in the tree have netware as master and a few has oes11sp3 as master.

Services running are mostly NSS volumes for file services, Groupwise 18  and a few others applications. 

All Useful tips and steps to proceed would be highly appreciated.

5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: migrating from Netware 6.5 to Oes2018sp1

@syed_17 wrote:

A very nice explanation indeed. I am facing the similar scenario but the only difference is migrating from Netware 6.5 to Oes2018sp1. We have a lot of Netware 6.5, Oes11sp1/sp2/sp3 and Oes2015sp1 servers in the tree with Netware 6.5 holding the master of root. Looking to migrate to oes2018sp1 but confused about how to proceed. most of the child partitions in the tree have netware as master and a few has oes11sp3 as master.

Services running are mostly NSS volumes for file services, Groupwise 18  and a few others applications. 

All Useful tips and steps to proceed would be highly appreciated.

Hi Syed,

I do have some suggestions and I'm sure others will too but I have some additional questions first.

• How many NetWare servers are we talking about?
  • Are they virtual or physical?
  • If virtual, what hypervisor are you using?
  • Is the plan to do a one-to-one upgrade from NW65 to OES1028 SP1?
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
Super Contributor.

Appreciate your quick response . I have 17 Netware servers distributed across root and child partitions , all virtual Machines, running on vmware vsphere 6.x. The "upgrade plan" is something that we are confused with... would appreciate you to suggest the best way to proceed. 

Also, we are in the process of cleaning up the tree off the servers that are not in production use anymore. kindly suggest the best practices for merging and deleting child partitions as well. Probably , a separate thread for this would be a best idea though.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@syed_17 wrote:

Appreciate your quick response . I have 17 Netware servers distributed across root and child partitions , all virtual Machines, running on vmware vsphere 6.x. The "upgrade plan" is something that we are confused with... would appreciate you to suggest the best way to proceed. 

That sounds like an interesting project. I do have some suggestions but I'd like to invite two other Knowledge Partners, @mrosen and @KonecnyA, to participate in this discussion as they both have extensive NetWare experience too.

Also, we are in the process of cleaning up the tree off the servers that are not in production use anymore. kindly suggest the best practices for merging and deleting child partitions as well. Probably , a separate thread for this would be a best idea though.

I agree. Why don't you start a new thread and we can discuss that issue in the new thread.

_____
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@syed_17 wrote:

I have 17 Netware servers distributed across root and child partitions , all virtual Machines, running on vmware vsphere 6.x. The "upgrade plan" is something that we are confused with...

As you can appreciate there a number of issues to deal with. I wrote this Cool Solution article a couple of years ago that discusses many of the issues you will face. It is a good place to begin.

Migrating Files from NetWare to Linux or OES in 2017

Another thing to consider is whether your existing tree still meets your needs or, considering the cleanup you are facing, would it be better to create a new tree. Yes, that is a big decision!

_____
Super Contributor.

Thanks for sharing your cool solutions post. On a quick look, it appears to be a amazing write up. Will have a deeper insight and get back to you with related doubts on my side. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.