johnkoen Absent Member.
Absent Member.
12685 views

nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends, having no
need for LDAP.

I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket, status = 0
Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket, status = 0

How can I correct this issue?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

Why running OES2 if you do not need any Novell releated products?

Stopping ncp2nss maybe works, as well as namcd, nscd, slpd, novell-*


"johnkoen" <johnkoen@no-mx.forums.novell.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:johnkoen.35phfc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends,
> having no
> need for LDAP.
>
> I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
> Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to
> init socket, status = 0
> Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket,
> status = 0
>
> How can I correct this issue?
>
>
> --
> johnkoen
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> johnkoen's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=7747
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=314375
>

0 Likes
wyldkao Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

You can reference TID 3003589

wyldkao
"Anders Bengtsson" <thenotsoveryhumblebabe@fairlight.com>
???????:0H8zj.7104$Ec7.1505@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Why running OES2 if you do not need any Novell releated products?
>
> Stopping ncp2nss maybe works, as well as namcd, nscd, slpd, novell-*
>
>
> "johnkoen" <johnkoen@no-mx.forums.novell.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:johnkoen.35phfc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>>
>> I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends,
>> having no
>> need for LDAP.
>>
>> I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
>> Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to
>> init socket, status = 0
>> Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket,
>> status = 0
>>
>> How can I correct this issue?
>>
>>
>> --
>> johnkoen
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> johnkoen's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=7747
>> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=314375
>>



0 Likes
johnkoen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

Anders Bengtsson;1481058 wrote:
Why running OES2 if you do not need any Novell releated products?

Stopping ncp2nss maybe works, as well as namcd, nscd, slpd, novell-*


"johnkoen" <johnkoen@no-mx.forums.novell.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:johnkoen.35phfc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends,
> having no
> need for LDAP.
>
> I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
> Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to
> init socket, status = 0
> Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket,
> status = 0
>
> How can I correct this issue?
>
>
> --
> johnkoen
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> johnkoen's Profile: NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: johnkoen
> View this thread: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket - NOVELL FORUMS
>

wyldkao,

Initially I was running e-directory as a front-end to my core e-directory cluster, and OES has been the best way to install everything I need
(and configure) for e-directory. Now, however, I have chosen to run OpenLDAP on OES. I continue to run OES because this creates uniformity for updates and other system administration between our servers running LDAP (one server running OpenLDAP and three running E-Dir).
0 Likes
johnkoen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

wyldkao;1482085 wrote:
You can reference TID 3003589

wyldkao
"Anders Bengtsson" <thenotsoveryhumblebabe@fairlight.com>
???????:0H8zj.7104$Ec7.1505@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Why running OES2 if you do not need any Novell releated products?
>
> Stopping ncp2nss maybe works, as well as namcd, nscd, slpd, novell-*
>
>
> "johnkoen" <johnkoen@no-mx.forums.novell.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:johnkoen.35phfc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>>
>> I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends,
>> having no
>> need for LDAP.
>>
>> I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
>> Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to
>> init socket, status = 0
>> Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket,
>> status = 0
>>
>> How can I correct this issue?
>>
>>
>> --
>> johnkoen
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> johnkoen's Profile: NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: johnkoen
>> View this thread: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket - NOVELL FORUMS
>>

I have looked at TID 3003589 in the past and again now.

Because I am not running E-Dir or I-manager, there is no need to reconfigure how users are authenticated. I have double-checked that LDAP is not part of the authentication process.

All /etc/init.d/novell* services have been stopped and removed from start-up processes, along with smdrd, nscd, etc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

Well johnkoen, whats your exactly problem? I dont see the point.. you get an
message in the logfile
but no services is stuck? its a curiosa..

"johnkoen" <johnkoen@no-mx.forums.novell.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:johnkoen.35phfc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends,
> having no
> need for LDAP.
>
> I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
> Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to
> init socket, status = 0
> Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket,
> status = 0
>
> How can I correct this issue?
>
>
> --
> johnkoen
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> johnkoen's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=7747
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=314375
>

0 Likes
johnkoen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

Anders Bengtsson;1483863 wrote:
Well johnkoen, whats your exactly problem? I dont see the point.. you get an
message in the logfile
but no services is stuck? its a curiosa..

"johnkoen" <johnkoen@no-mx.forums.novell.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:johnkoen.35phfc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends,
> having no
> need for LDAP.
>
> I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
> Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to
> init socket, status = 0
> Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket,
> status = 0
>
> How can I correct this issue?
>
>
> --
> johnkoen
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> johnkoen's Profile: NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: johnkoen
> View this thread: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket - NOVELL FORUMS
>

Anders,

This error appears every few second in my log file. /Something/ appears to be broken (otherwise this entry would not be appearing in my log file). I was hoping to proactively fix this issue, before it bites me unexpectedly.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

johnkoen wrote:

>
> Anders Bengtsson;1483863 Wrote:
>> Well johnkoen, whats your exactly problem? I dont see the point.. you
>> get an
>> message in the logfile
>> but no services is stuck? its a curiosa..
>>
>> "johnkoen" <johnkoen@no-mx.forums.novell.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:johnkoen.35phfc@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>> >
>> > I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends,
>> > having no
>> > need for LDAP.
>> >
>> > I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
>> > Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to
>> > init socket, status = 0
>> > Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket,
>> > status = 0
>> >
>> > How can I correct this issue?
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > johnkoen
>> >

>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > johnkoen's Profile: 'NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: johnkoen'

>> (http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=7747)
>> > View this thread: 'nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket -

>> NOVELL FORUMS' (http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=314375)
>> >

> Anders,
>
> This error appears every few second in my log file. /Something/
> appears to be broken (otherwise this entry would not be appearing in my
> log file). I was hoping to proactively fix this issue, before it bites
> me unexpectedly.
>
>

Did you check if you have no edir/nam related pam files or entries in your
installation. Do you really have namcd and nss disabled. Can you see any
results from "ps auxf | grep nss" and "ps auxf | grep nam" ?
--
Michael Koeppl
Germany
MCNE, CLP
0 Likes
blwallace Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

johnkoen;1480468 wrote:
I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends, having no
need for LDAP.

I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket, status = 0
Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket, status = 0

How can I correct this issue?


Did you ever get this resolved. I looked for the TID that is mentioned but it appears to have vanished. I have the same issue.
0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

TID 3003589 has not vanished, a search for that number at
support.novell.com found it for me straight away.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
blwallace Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

ataubman;1640178 wrote:
TID 3003589 has not vanished, a search for that number at
support.novell.com found it for me straight away.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.


Andrew,

Yes you are right. I had included TID 3003589 in the search bar of support.novell.com. When I used just the number, I get the TID.

However, this TID doesn't solve my problem. I too am getting the error:
[INDENT]nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket, status = 0 [/INDENT]
and have no issues logging into the server through LUM.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

johnkoen,

Did you ever get this resolved? I am also running OES SP2 on Linux. I am not using LDAP for authentication. Only one of my mail servers is getting this error.

johnkoen;1484021 wrote:
Anders,

This error appears every few second in my log file. /Something/ appears to be broken (otherwise this entry would not be appearing in my log file). I was hoping to proactively fix this issue, before it bites me unexpectedly.
0 Likes
lca25
Visitor.

Re: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket

johnkoen;1480468 wrote:
I am running OES SP2 linux. I have disabled e-directory and friends, having no
need for LDAP.

I see the following in my /var/log/messages, repeated over and over:
Mar 3 10:51:01 dir CRON[25677]: nds_nss_GetGroupsbyMember: failed to init socket, status = 0
Mar 3 10:51:51 dir id: nds_nss_GetGrpEnt: failed to init socket, status = 0

How can I correct this issue?


This thread is ancient, but since I find I now have this issue after removing/disabling OES...

...Try removing nam from nsswitch.conf and do rccron restart.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.