> we have a couple of machines with Windows XP connected to OES11
> XP Client installed
>
> Upgrading to OES2018
>
> can I connect to OES2018 ??

Obviously Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft or Micro Focus
but if you have XP clients connecting to OES11 via the (old) Novell
Client then theoretically they should also be able to connect to OES2018.

If I were you, before upgrading my OES11 servers to OES2018 I'd set up a
test standalone OES2018 server and try connecting to it from an existing
client.

HTH.
--
Simon
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: oes2018 & Windows XP

I just have this offset in a lab environment, but i don't see any issues there. OES patched to date. XP Client 4.91SP5IR2 with 491psp5ir2_nwgina.zip.
Even SLP comms work against a 2018 DA. Well, that should read: "don't work even worse than you'd expect".
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have a group that have to use XP machines in order to access old hardware for some research. We have them authenticating against an OES 2018 server. Things had been working OK, but since we applied the monthly updates to the OES 2018 server last week, we have been getting reports that the client is getting disconnected from a mapped drive to the OES server every 30 minutes or so. If the user waits for a couple minutes, the drive gets reconnected. I'm just digging into it now so I don't know if this is real or not.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Dan
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did some more investigating. I have the latest 4.91 client and NWGina (4.91psp5IR2 plus the nwgina.dll from January 2014) installed on the XP machine and initially it accesses the OES 2018 server share just fine. However after some time (10 to 30 minutes) the connection to the server goes away. I can still ping the server from the XP WS by name so TCP/IP and DNS is still working. If I look at Novell connections, it shows I am logged in and connected to the server but when I try to access a drive mapped to the server, I no longer see any files. It is like something in the NCP has broken.

The thing is, this had been working fine for months before applying the OES 2018 updates to the server last Thursday so it is possible that some patch that came out from the beginning of September to the beginning of October is causing this.

Anyone else seeing this?

Anyone else forced to keep XP running because some researcher purchased software that only runs on XP but is needed to interface with expensive lab equipment they can't get rid of?

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Connot dupe this behaviour, neither without nor with yesterday's update 4. Same client offset.
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mathias, could you explain about the Client Offset? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Same client build, i.e. SP5IR2 + latest Gina. Are you running physical or virtual? Different segments for servers and XP clients? Any sort of firewalling involved?
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

These are physical XP clone machines running Windows XP SP3. They are on the same segment as the server. No firewall is involved. I can do a file copy back and forth from one directory to another on the server with a batch file and it will last for 5 minutes to an hour then suddenly stop and I get the error "The specified network name is no longer available". At that point from a DOS prompt, I can ping the DNS name of the server, so DNS and TCP/IP is working OK. However if I open Windows Explorer and click on the network drive letter, it tells me that it is not available.

In addition, if I just leave the WS, after some time (say 3 to 10 minutes) I can access the network drive again. A Windows 10 machine on the same network with a current client does not show the same problem.

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

First things which come into my mind: virus scanners or similar "solutions". If there's any installed, uninstall it (just disabling it is often not enough) and retry. Even better: try with a vanilla installation. Other than that it might be needed to trace this, and if you do so you should do it concurrently from both server and client. A successful ping doesn't necessarily mean that the communication path is healthy. Do you see anything possibly relevant in the event logs?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <dchunt.8oxylb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Dchunt wrote:
> The thing is, this had been working fine for months before applying the
> OES 2018 updates to the server last Thursday so it is possible that some
> patch that came out from the beginning of September to the beginning of
> October is causing this.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

Nope. Checked an XP vm that has been logged in over the weekend on an
OES2018 box that was patched and rebooted 20 days ago, with no new patches
in the queue. I could easily go open/create/edit files on the server.
It is the first OES2018 server, most of the rest are still OES2015 at this
point in case that makes a difference.

> Anyone else forced to keep XP running because some researcher purchased
> software that only runs on XP but is needed to interface with expensive
> lab equipment they can't get rid of?

- Managing an Airconditioner that was bought just over a year ago that
needs older Java than will run on Win7
- its the vm a client installed some software that can't readily have its
license moved to a newer Windows.

How about a where lab old testing equipment was bought cheap that didn't
even have standard RS232 serial capability, now go make it work.....

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
https://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.