Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

openslp resilience.. multi site, da failure, etc

Hi
I have a client with multiple sites. We currently use NetWare based DA's on each major site, using a single scope (and using the 'set SLPDA NDS Forward Flag = off' on all but one DA to avoid eDir collsions!;-)

As we plan our OES2 migration we need to consider the replacement of the NetWare eDirectory integrated SLP DA service with openslp.... So far it doesn't look too good in the 'feature parity' side on things!

Concerns are about resiliency:
- WAN link failures - major sites need to continue to function when links fail
- SLP DA server failures, reboots, etc.

Firstly how do you ensure that each DA has the same list of services with openslp? Sure, you specify each DA manually on anything that registers a service, but if the slpd service is restarted how quickly does this become fully populated? How do you get it 'in sync' with the other DA(s)?*

Secondly, along same lines, if a DA has to be restarted (or even relocated due to server failure) how quickly does it take to become functional? (i.e. re-populated with services)

From my readings so far it sounds like openslp da doesn't cache info to the file system (i.e. service list lives in memory)
(What we really need in a pervasive cache... something like edirectory!! 😉

Has anyone done anything funky to get around this issue?
*Could it be possible to NCS cluster enable the service with shared disk space and then, using the unload and load scripts, use something like slptool to extract service entries and write them out to a file on the shared disk and re-import them on service startup? (could slp.reg be used for this?!?)

Just wondering how people are getting on with slp in multi site, pure OES linux environments and how they cope with line and service failures

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome!
Thanks
David
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: openslp resilience.. multi site, da failure, etc

djbrightman,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well I have finally heard from Novell that my Request For Enhancement has been submitted for review...

The request ID is 12743 and here are the details as I submitted them...
>>
Request ID 12743
Request Date 05 Aug 2009
Request Type Enhancement Request for Existing Product
Request Title eDirectory integrated SLP Directory Agent for OES2 Linux
Problem Description
There is no like for like replacement for the eDirectory integrated SLPDA service provided under NetWare. The SLES slpd service (openslp) is insufficient to provide dynamic resolution services in a timely manner. e.g. in a multi site environment you might have two SLPDA servers, sharing a common (eDirectory) based scope. Population of each DA's list of services and addresses is timely, as it reads in config from eDir, which aids failures and restarts In an openslp config there is no such cache of information to populate the DA, so it could take a long time to get this functioning properly - this could cause issues for clients relying on slp for resolution e.g. effecting login script based drive mapping, etc. Also, each slpds is 'standalone' so it is not possible to share information via eDir as is the case with NetWare
Proposed Solution
Port eDirectory based SLPDA to OES2... You've done similar things with DNS, DHCP and CIFS.... Yes, it's proprietary but it's an infrastructure service that Novell heaped on us with the move to IP - it is critical to large Novell environments and should be catered for by Novell
Perceived Benefit
SLP is a MAJOR infrastructure service in a Novell environment. Being able to restart or fail and recover from a lost DA is a major consideration - it is certainly keeping NetWare in my larger customers environments
<<
If anyone else has strong concerns/feelings about this then please contact your Novell contacts and representatives and reference this RFE

Thanks
David
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

djbrightman wrote:
> Well I have finally heard from Novell that my Request For Enhancement
> has been submitted for review...
>
> The request ID is 12743 and here are the details as I submitted
> them...

any news on this?

I had also had a request about this.. but now I can't see any of my old
requests as the Novell Portal has changed?

-sk

HAMK University - OES, NW, GW, NCS, eDir, Zen, IDM, NSL - www.hamk.fi
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.