ncharleyhog Absent Member.
Absent Member.

pool & volume allocation question

We have Netware 6.5 SP8. Just for discussion, let's say I have:

The server has 0 unallocated space. The DATA1 pool is 1T which is divided into two volumes of 500G each. If I delete one of the volumes, that should give the pool 500G of unused space. How can I use that 500G of free space in DATA1 in another pool, in the DATA2 pool?

Thanks....
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
mgool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: pool & volume allocation question

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 14:46:02 +0000, ncharleyhog wrote:

> We have Netware 6.5 SP8. Just for discussion, let's say I have:
>
> The server has 0 unallocated space. The DATA1 pool is 1T which is
> divided into two volumes of 500G each. If I delete one of the volumes,
> that should give the pool 500G of unused space. How can I use that 500G
> of free space in DATA1 in another pool, in the DATA2 pool?
>
> Thanks....

When you delete a volume inside a pool you will create more available
space in that specific pool.
I'm afraid it won't allow you to use that space to expand another pool.
In order to expand another pool you will need free partition space.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: pool & volume allocation question

Hi,

As stated... natively, when you delete a volume from an NSS pool it simply frees up pool space for another volume to be created.

You might find that Portlock Storage Manager can do something for you: http://www.portlock.com/products/storagemanager/

Perhaps contact Portlock directly to see if their software can do this for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.