Highlighted
gcps_testid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

purging causing extremely high CPU utilization

This scenario occurs on all of our fully patches OES1 SP2 Linux servers:
-run latest jrbpurge utility (from Windows command prompt) for mass purging from a Windows XP computer with the Novell client installed and admin rights to edirectory and servers
-purging works
-starts out fast
-after running a while, it begins to run very slowly, although never stops purging
-server CPU utilization throughout process (from beginning to end) is extremely high
-top command on any server where this is running reports ndpapp at around 60% utilization on average...sometimes it is even higher

Any ideas what might be causing this issue? Also, purging and salvaging natively from the Novell client can be painfully slow, especially if there are a lot of deleted files in a directory...sorting can take forever it seems
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
elagrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: purging causing extremely high CPU utilization

More information please.

What version of eDir. How much RAM in the Linux boxes...what version Linux? Do you have NSS? (I imagine) How much free space, etc?

--El

gcps_testid;2088085 wrote:
This scenario occurs on all of our fully patches OES1 SP2 Linux servers:
-run latest jrbpurge utility (from Windows command prompt) for mass purging from a Windows XP computer with the Novell client installed and admin rights to edirectory and servers
-purging works
-starts out fast
-after running a while, it begins to run very slowly, although never stops purging
-server CPU utilization throughout process (from beginning to end) is extremely high
-top command on any server where this is running reports ndpapp at around 60% utilization on average...sometimes it is even higher

Any ideas what might be causing this issue? Also, purging and salvaging natively from the Novell client can be painfully slow, especially if there are a lot of deleted files in a directory...sorting can take forever it seems

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
Absent Member.

edir version- eDirectory for Linux v8.7.3.10, RAM: 4GB of RAM, Linux: OES1 SP2 on top of SLES of course, NSS- yes, free space- about 1.3GB free on sys volume and over 200GB of free space on NSS volume
0 Likes
Absent Member.

any ideas out there?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Why not just run the purge from the server directly? I believe there's an ncpcon command somewhere to do this.

My GUESS is that doing this from a workstation is utilizing the ncp connection through the LAN and it might ("might" being the operative word) be better to run it from the server.

Although you said you're running OES1 SP2?
So you're NOT running:

OES2 SP2?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

You are correct on the OES version. As for purging, it is a selective purge, not a mass purge, which I believe is what you are referring to using ncpcon. I don't believe it gives us the granular control we need. I wish it did though. If you know of another Novell-native option, please let me know.

kjhurni;2090264 wrote:
Why not just run the purge from the server directly? I believe there's an ncpcon command somewhere to do this.

My GUESS is that doing this from a workstation is utilizing the ncp connection through the LAN and it might ("might" being the operative word) be better to run it from the server.

Although you said you're running OES1 SP2?
So you're NOT running:

OES2 SP2?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Okay I see.

I'd say until you can upgrade to OES2 SP2 at least, odds are Novell won't assist much if you have to open a call

I know there's been some major performance enhancements with the later code.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks. That's the typical response most Novell engineers will give you. If you aren't on OES2, we won't even troubleshoot it or at least complain throughout the troubleshooting process trying to sell the upgrade. I completely understand why they feel that way. Unfortunately, until then, we have to deal with what we have. The purge will many times even core the server or at a very minimum cause it to completely freeze and require a manual power off/power on cycle. It is very frustrating to say the least. A basic purge won't usually do this, but a purge that is selective and automated including a large amount of data or runs for a long time causes the lockups.

kjhurni;2090337 wrote:
Okay I see.

I'd say until you can upgrade to OES2 SP2 at least, odds are Novell won't assist much if you have to open a call

I know there's been some major performance enhancements with the later code.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.