Highlighted
Verwaiser Contributor.
Contributor.

random server reboot

Hello,

about ones a week or monthly my SLES10SP4/OES2SP3 Dell server reboots without any recognizable reason.
There is no loss of electrical power (the other servers will run without break and the server uses a UPS).
It doesn't seem to have a reason in consumption of ressources (last reboot was on sunday at 04:15 am).

The log files (messages, warn, boot.osmg) don't show any error or warning in the time before reboot.
The Dell server shows no hardware / temperature problem in his display.
The server isn't connectet directly with internet, only http and groupwise related ports are connected via firewall rule in our proxy, so I don't think (hope) that there is a internet attack.

Do you know any other logfile or place where I can look for the reason for rebooting?

Thanks for your help,

Holger
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: random server reboot

On Tue, 27 May 2014 09:56:01 +0000, Verwaiser wrote:

> about ones a week or monthly my SLES10SP4/OES2SP3 Dell server reboots
> without any recognizable reason.

I've only once seen random server reboots like this that weren't a
hardware fault. Does Dell offer any useful hardware diagnostics?

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.netiq.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.
If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Re: random server reboot

Hi,

I have seen various monitoring systems report a reboot on various Linux distributions when they use 32-bit counters to detect uptime via SNMP. SNMP uptime is measured in 1/100th ( or some other division ) of a second, so after about 497 days, the monitoring system will see the 32-bit counter roll and report a reboot. So just confirm the systems actually rebooted. So make sure it is not an artifact.

I'm not sure what management stuff you have in place for the Dell's, and we have mostly HP, but IIRc the iDREK stuff allowed you to capture the screen contents if the server was rebooted via ASR. See is ASR ( or whatever Dell's nomenclature is for that ) is enabled as well, there may be logs in the BIOS / Dell embedded management stuff that will show if ASR was triggered.

Also... is this server in an OES cluster? It could be that it took the poison pill for some reason.

-- Bob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.