Absent Member.
Absent Member.

reverse lookup not working

Due to a knew provider I had to change all of our outside A and reverse lookup records. We can resolve names just fine but not IP's. We have a 24bit mask and I created our records with the last octet of each IP - ie x.x.x.249 has a reverse record of 249. Due to this problem we are having a lot of mail rejected by other institutions. I had one of them do an nslookup to our mail servers IP address for me and the result was - default server unavailable, server failed. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance
Hazel
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: reverse lookup not working

A common mistake when creating in-addr.arpa zones is to enter a 0 for
the host portion of the IP rather than leaving the field(s) blank. For
example, you would end up with a zone named 0.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
rather than 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa, which is the correct way.

If this is not the issue, please post your config and maybe a debug log,
and maybe someone will see the problem.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.