Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

rsync from Netware nss to OES linux nss

HI, I've searching this forums about the problem with rsyncing special caracters (like spanish ones) from NW to OES2 lx with the error "invalid argument (22)"
Has anybody solved this issue? Or there's nothing to do with that?
If that's the case, I'd like to know what good replacement exists to sync files from one server to another.

Thanks in advance

Miguel
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: rsync from Netware nss to OES linux nss

Yes, we did this a while ago.

NetWare Rsync was going to OES2 Linux. Both were NSS

There is a problem with foreign characters. You just won't be able to do it. The Rsync code on NetWare isn't supported (never was officially I don't think) but obviously not being developed.

At the time, we opened an SR and they found out that foreign characters cause it to fail. There is no fix and will be no fix (at least back then). other than to migrate NetWare to Linux that is.

Now, you MAY Be able to use a diff. utility. I think some Hungarian Novell consultants wrote a program (I cannot remember the name) but they claim you can sync files between the two OS's. (I don't know if it's rsync though) and it does cost money.

I think this is the URL

Novell PSH » Sync Center v2.25
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

kjhurni,

All right then, I think I'd better change my rsync topology as we move to OES2 LX instead of testing new apps.
Thanks for your quick answer!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You are most welcome.

One thing we did NOT try (nor did I ask):

If you "pulled" (via rsync) from an OES2 Linux box to a NetWare box.

In other words, run the rsyncd (daemon) on OES2 Linux, but my GUESS is that the NetWare rsync wouldn't still understand the foreign characters (but you never know)

I can tell you that OES2 Linux to OES2 Linux with NSS and rsync works great.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Yeah, it'll be something like "reversing the polarity", it always works! LOL
Apart from the joke...it's a good idea and a must I should test, I'm far from changing all of my regional NW servers.
I'll keep you informed.
Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yes please do.

What I did, was I converted my Main Office Netware "rsyncd" server to OES2 Linux and ran the rsyncd daemon on it.

I then put the rsync code on my regional NetWare severs and had them "pull" (for lack of a better word) the files from the OES2 Linux server.

As we slowly migrated the regional servers to Linux, I then had to adjust the "pull" (I created a simple nightlysync.sh script that ran the individual rsync commands and scheduled them via cron).

I'll see if i can dig up my docs if you think it will help you.

My main problem I ran into was getting the rsyncd on Linux to work right in the sense that it uses LINUX userid/filesystem rights. So I just let it run as root since the only things we're syncing are software installs for ZENworks. So nothing security-related in terms of files.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.