mattmajewski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

slow login win7 client sp1

we are having issues with very slow logins to our netware 6.5 server from machines running Windows 7 Pro with or without zcm installed. It probably takes at least 30-45 seconds once the client says they logged in successfully before they get their mapped drives dialog box. Any suggestions as to client settings that can speed this up? This it so much worse than the XP client.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Vaxman2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: slow login win7 client sp1

We were able to turn off all Name Services except DNS and it made a huge difference for us..
0 Likes
Absent Member.

doing this made me get tree or server cannot be found
0 Likes
mmerrell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well that's not good. That means you have no entries to internally resolve the names of your servers. That is going to cause you loads of problems down the road. I run a set of Internal DNS servers that map <server name> and <tree name> to appropriate server IP Addresses.

Alternately you can modify the HOSTS file located under c:\windows\system32\etc and manually enter the server and tree name(s) and their corresponding IP addresses. I bet that makes a huge difference.

Another thing to try is just turn off SLP and leave the other two defaults on.

Good luck,

Merrell
0 Likes
Absent Member.

i tried manually entering in the hosts file and the results seem the same
0 Likes
Absent Member.

any other suggestions?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.