Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Dietze_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

some DFS junctions does only work under XP but not W7

Hi,

we have a NW 6.5SP7-Cluster with some cluster volumes. On one cluster volume there are some junctions to other volumes to give the user the ability to access there data over one drive letter.

All works under Windows XP. Under Windows 7 (64 bit) wt Novell Client 2 SP1 IR4 (32 bit) does only one junction work properly but not teh other two. All three target volumes are running on the same physical server, but on different virtual servers (cluster ressources). There is no difference in eDirectory rights or entrys in the volume or server objects what can explain the different working.
A new created junction to one of the not working targets does not working too (under Win7).

Where can I search for the cause? What can I do?

Regards,

Holger
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Dietze_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: some DFS junctions does only work under XP but not W7

Addition: I'm not sure about the width of the Novell client. May be, it is 64 bit. You have only one downloadable exe and there are both pices included. I think, the setup has recognized the OS version.
0 Likes
hschoene Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

1. Check the communication to the vldb-server via TCP 6901, maybe firewall in Win7, try a "telnet IP-VLDB-Server 6901" to check this
2. vldb repair ?
a "vldb list" command works only under OES-Linux, I think. I havent tried this: Install a separate OES2-Linux-Box(maybe VM) in a separate tree, configure DFS with a context and a replika-server. The stop vldb on both sites and copy your original files to this new dir. Start vldb and perform a "vldb list".

Heiko
0 Likes
Dietze_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

telnet servername 6901 does not answer (never, but one juntion does work and another junction on the test cluster works too)
It has to deal with the Windows 7, not only with the server.
My last idea was, the creating of the junction with iManager was the cause: it was not.
Now created a junction to one of the not working target volumes with ConsoleOne and with a different name with iManager. The new junctions works fine under Windows XP and not under Windows 7.
???
0 Likes
Dietze_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

All fine now.
Repair VLDB resolves the issues. There was only a issue with two target volumes and only under Win7.
I cannot understand, why that central repair solves that error. What makes Win7 different to WinXP? And why only at two targets?
Well, now all is right.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In the past (although it seems to be resolved lately), any time I've added or deleted NSS Volumes in the tree, I've had to run a complete repair to "walk" the tree.

Although things seem to have stabilized since I updated to OES2 SP2 from OES2 SP1.
0 Likes
rolflidvall Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Check out IR5, it got at least three DFS fixes:

"Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows (IR5)"
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=rY6Gct-vl9U~

"New fixes included in the Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows (IR5):

4. Unable to resolve DFS junctions after communication with VLDB restored.
(Bug 648242)
12. DFS junction access fails when server-side DFS data erroneously contains
typeful tree name ("T=treename"). (Bug 609342)
14. Salvage, Purge and Trustees can fail when path includes DFS junction.
(Bug 586995)"

Regards
Rolf Lidvall
Swedish Radio (Ltd)

0 Likes
Dietze_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Now there was time to test the IR5:
Yes, it works.
Thank you very much for the hint.

Regards
Holger

P.S.: I'm wishing the developer does there job before all the hotfixes and patches and releases and so on. Have I go with my car to the auto repair to resove all the engineering bugs? No.
0 Likes
rolflidvall Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No problem, glad it helped.

Regards
Rolf Lidvall
Swedish Radio (Ltd)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.