Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2788 views

startup.ncf

Is there a way to edit the startup.ncf using NoRM.? I want to copy and paste
commands directly into the file. Edit would not work and I don't want to
mount the C: drive.

Thank you.

Eric.


Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Eric,

> Is there a way to edit the startup.ncf using NoRM.? I want to copy and paste
> commands directly into the file. Edit would not work


Why wouldn't edit.nlm work?

> and I don't want to mount the C: drive.


Which version of NetWare? with 6.5SP4 and later (and possibly earlier)
drilling down to the startup.ncf there is an "Edit" link next to the
file. On other versions you'd be able to download the file, edit it,
then upload again.


--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Hi Hamish

In fact I was just trying to add commands you send me a while ago to tune
the memory of my 6.5SP4.

> Why wouldn't edit.nlm work?

I just assumed I wouldn't be able to copy and paste from my PC to the
startup file using rjcon.

> drilling down to the startup.ncf there is an "Edit" link next to the file.

Are talking about NoRM?

Thank you.

Eric.


"Hamish Speirs" <hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
news:j2brg.3124$6c7.1220@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Eric,
>
>> Is there a way to edit the startup.ncf using NoRM.? I want to copy and
>> paste commands directly into the file. Edit would not work

>
> Why wouldn't edit.nlm work?
>
>> and I don't want to mount the C: drive.

>
> Which version of NetWare? with 6.5SP4 and later (and possibly earlier)
> drilling down to the startup.ncf there is an "Edit" link next to the file.
> On other versions you'd be able to download the file, edit it, then upload
> again.
>
>
> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Eric,

> In fact I was just trying to add commands you send me a while ago to tune
> the memory of my 6.5SP4.


oh 🙂

>> Why wouldn't edit.nlm work?

> I just assumed I wouldn't be able to copy and paste from my PC to the
> startup file using rjcon.


Rconj probably not, AdRem's free con will let you.

>> drilling down to the startup.ncf there is an "Edit" link next to the file.

> Are talking about NoRM?


Yep, from NoRM, go to the volumes screen. drill down C: -> NWServer, on
the right hand side of the startup.ncf filename will be "Delete, Edit,
Rename" - pick edit 😉



--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Hamish,

Worked great for startup.ncf!

How about accessing/creating sys:_netware\_ndsdb.ini, just edit.nlm I guess
this time?

Thank you again.

Eric.


"Hamish Speirs" <hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
news:Yibrg.3145$6c7.2887@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Eric,
>
>> In fact I was just trying to add commands you send me a while ago to tune
>> the memory of my 6.5SP4.

>
> oh 🙂
>
>>> Why wouldn't edit.nlm work?

>> I just assumed I wouldn't be able to copy and paste from my PC to the
>> startup file using rjcon.

>
> Rconj probably not, AdRem's free con will let you.
>
>>> drilling down to the startup.ncf there is an "Edit" link next to the
>>> file.

>> Are talking about NoRM?

>
> Yep, from NoRM, go to the volumes screen. drill down C: -> NWServer, on
> the right hand side of the startup.ncf filename will be "Delete, Edit,
> Rename" - pick edit 😉
>
>
>
> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Eric,

> Worked great for startup.ncf!
>
> How about accessing/creating sys:_netware\_ndsdb.ini, just edit.nlm I guess
> this time?


Yep, for that one you have to go with edit.nlm.

Are these values ones I gave you? Memcalc.nlm will do all the settings
for you....


--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Hamish,

Can I use # to add comments to the _ndsdb.ini?

> Are these values ones I gave you? Memcalc.nlm will do all the settings for
> you....


Yes sir and since I got you I would like to confirm something (if you don't
mind).
You had asked me to add "set auto tune server memory=off" in the
startup.ncf. It was
already at the begining of the autoexec.ncf. Can it be in both places or
should I
remove it from the autoexec.ncf?

Thank you again.

Eric.



PS: Here's a copy of your original suggestions:


[1st shot ] -->

Create c:\nwserver\nssstart.cfg, with the contents:

/MinBuffercacheSize=131272
/cachebalance=70


In autoexec.bat, modify the server.exe line to include

-u690000000

in autoexec.ncf, add to the beginning

set auto tune server memory=off
set file cache maximum size=1929379840


[ 2nd shot ] -->

Execute these commands on the console, then add them to the end of
startup.ncf, and make sure they are not being set in autoexec.ncf.

set auto tune server memory=off
set fs cache pool minimum pages=377422
set fs cache pool desired pages=524288
set fs cache pool lots of pages=524288
set vm cache pool percentage=5
set vm cache pool maximum pages percentage=5

Edit sys:_netware\_ndsdb.ini - create if not existing and add these lines:

cache=16777216
cacheadjustinterval=15
cachecleanupinterval=15
blockcachepercent=50
preallocatecache=true


In conjunction with the settings that have already been applied, this
should totally stabalize it.






"Hamish Speirs" <hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
news:ZIcrg.3248$6c7.1112@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Eric,
>
>> Worked great for startup.ncf!
>>
>> How about accessing/creating sys:_netware\_ndsdb.ini, just edit.nlm I
>> guess this time?

>
> Yep, for that one you have to go with edit.nlm.
>
> Are these values ones I gave you? Memcalc.nlm will do all the settings for
> you....
>
>
> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Eric,

> Can I use # to add comments to the _ndsdb.ini?


Yes.

> Yes sir and since I got you I would like to confirm something (if you don't
> mind).
> You had asked me to add "set auto tune server memory=off" in the
> startup.ncf. It was
> already at the begining of the autoexec.ncf. Can it be in both places or
> should I
> remove it from the autoexec.ncf?


It can be in both, but its better to have it in just one - I'd remove it
from the autoexec.ncf.

> Thank you again.


No problem.


--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: startup.ncf

Hamish,

A last quick question.

A made the changes to my startup.ncf, _ndsdb.ini and autoexec.ncf and
rebooted the server last night, which abended.
I just wanted to know if removing the chances that I made to those 3 files
was enough to bring me back to where I was prior to the changes.
Or do I have to somehow reset the values to original ones?

I am asking because after removing all the changes I had made, even though
the server did not abend, I got an error I never saw before on SAS.NLM

( 7-06-2006 9:56:24 pm: SERVER-5.70-836
Error unloading killed loadable module (SAS.NLM) Secure Authentication
Services)

Thank you.

Eric.


"Hamish Speirs" <hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
news:Vmdrg.3307$6c7.550@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Eric,
>
>> Can I use # to add comments to the _ndsdb.ini?

>
> Yes.
>
>> Yes sir and since I got you I would like to confirm something (if you
>> don't mind).
>> You had asked me to add "set auto tune server memory=off" in the
>> startup.ncf. It was
>> already at the begining of the autoexec.ncf. Can it be in both places or
>> should I
>> remove it from the autoexec.ncf?

>
> It can be in both, but its better to have it in just one - I'd remove it
> from the autoexec.ncf.
>
>> Thank you again.

>
> No problem.
>
>
> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.