Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

upgrade SLES10SP4 -> SLES11SP2 ->multipath issues

Hi,

upgrade my OES2SP3/SLES10SP4 Cluster up to OES11Sp1/SLES11SP2, connected to a Datacore SAN (FC Based).
I hoped that i found all neccessary Infos in the Doc's but i think something is wrong....

I've got Issues with my multipathing, because it show me the SAN Volume is reject and the status is "undef".

Here some outputs

reject: 360030d904c435a454e00000000000000 undef DataCore,SANmelody
size=1.0T features='0' hwhandler='0' wp=undef
`-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=-1 status=undef
|- 2:0:0:7 sdh 8:112 undef ready running
`- 3:0:0:7 sdp 8:240 undef ready running
Jun 12 18:04:05 | sdg: alua not supported
Jun 12 18:04:05 | sdo: alua not supported
Jun 12 18:04:05 | DM message failed [queue_if_no_path]
reject: 360030d904c434c414d50000000000000 undef DataCore,SANmelody
size=1.0T features='0' hwhandler='0' wp=undef
`-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=-1 status=undef
|- 2:0:0:6 sdg 8:96 undef ready running
`- 3:0:0:6 sdo 8:224 undef ready running

the multipath.conf looks now like this

lc02:/etc # grep ^[^#] /etc/multipath.conf
defaults {
getuid_callout "/lib/udev/scsi_id --whitelisted --device=/dev/%n"
polling_interval 60
}
devices {
device {
vendor "DataCore"
product "Virtual Disk"
path_checker tur
failback 10
dev_loss_tmo infinity
# eq OES2 Cluster Doku
no_path_retry fail
}
}

in the past the output looks like that:

lc01:~ # multipath -l
SDataCoreSANmelody_LCUser dm-3 DataCore,SANmelody
[features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 4:0:0:4 sdm 8:192 [active][undef]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 3:0:0:4 sde 8:64 [active][undef]
SDataCoreSANmelody_Clusterpartition dm-7 DataCore,SANmelody
[features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 4:0:0:0 sdg 8:96 [active][undef]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
\_ 3:0:0:0 sda 8:0 [active][undef]

Why can i find the "friendly_name" of the SAN Volume on the old multipath infos but not in the new one?
I didn't use the option "user_friendly_names" or an Alias in the past.

i try to refresh the multipath infos with "multipath -r" and a reboot of the Server, but it didn't help.

What made i wrong?
Any hints or a example multipath.conf from a friendly OES and DataCore User availible?

thx
thomas
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: upgrade SLES10SP4 -> SLES11SP2 ->multipath issues

found it.

DataCore doc seems me misleading.

In the device section i have to change

product "Virtual Disk"
to
product "SAN*"

Only issue now is the naming convention by UUID and not friendly name like before....

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For your Information.

change in defaults section from multipath.conf the getuid parameter, then it shows the readeable form the Name of the SAN Volume (and not the UUID)

getuid_callout "/lib/udev/scsi_id --page=0x80 --replace-whitespace --whitelisted --device=/dev/%n"

thx to all
thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

reiss;2322610 wrote:
For your Information.

change in defaults section from multipath.conf the getuid parameter, then it shows the readeable form the Name of the SAN Volume (and not the UUID)

getuid_callout "/lib/udev/scsi_id --page=0x80 --replace-whitespace --whitelisted --device=/dev/%n"

thx to all
thomas

Also make sure to have a read through this : http://webapp5.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/SuSe-Dokumentation/manual/sles-manuals_en/storwhatsnew.html#b15ds08e

There have been changes to SLES 11 SP3 multipath (changed/added options as also ones that have been replaced and should not be included in the multipath.conf anymore).

"what's new SLES 11 storage" wrote:

2.1.5. Multipath I/O¶

The following changes and enhancements were made for multipath I/O:
2.1.5.1. mpathpersist(8)¶

The mpathpersist(8) utility is new. It can be used to manage SCSI persistent reservations on Device Mapper Multipath devices. For information, see Section 7.3.5, “Linux mpathpersist(8) Utility”.
2.1.5.2. multipath(8)¶

The following enhancement was added to the multipath(8) command:

The -r option allows you to force a device map reload.

2.1.5.3. /etc/multipath.conf¶

The Device Mapper - Multipath tool added the following enhancements for the /etc/multipath.conf file:

udev_dir.

The udev_dir attribute is deprecated. After you upgrade to SLES 11 SP3, you can remove the following line from the defaults section of your /etc/multipath.conf file:

udev_dir /dev

getuid_callout.

In the defaults section of the /etc/multipath.conf file, the getuid_callout attribute is deprecated and replaced by the uid_attribute parameter. This parameter is a udev attribute that provides a unique path identifier. The default value is ID_SERIAL.

After you upgrade to SLES 11 SP3, you can modify the attributes in the defaults section of your /etc/multipath.conf file:

Remove the following line from the defaults section:

getuid_callout "/lib/udev/scsi_id --whitelisted --device=/dev/%n"

Add the following line to the defaults section:

uid_attribute "ID_SERIAL"

path_selector.

In the defaults section of the /etc/multipath.conf file, the default value for the path_selector attribute was changed from "round-robin 0" to "service-time 0". The service-time option chooses the path for the next bunch of I/O based on the amount of outstanding I/O to the path and its relative throughput.

After you upgrade to SLES 11 SP3, you can modify the attribute value in the defaults section of your /etc/multipath.conf file to use the recommended default:

path_selector "service-time 0"

user_friendly_names.

The user_friendly_names attribute can be configured in the devices section and in the multipaths section.

max_fds.

The default setting for the max_fds attribute was changed to max. This allows the multipath daemon to open as many file descriptors as the system allows when it is monitoring paths.

After you upgrade to SLES 11 SP3, you can modify the attribute value in your /etc/multipath.conf file:

max_fds "max"

reservation_key.

In the defaults section or multipaths section of the /etc/multipath.conf file, the reservation_key attribute can be used to assign a Service Action Reservation Key that is used with the mpathpersist(8) utility to manage persistent reservations for Device Path Multipath devices. The attribute is not used by default. If it is not set, the multipathd daemon does not check for persistent reservation for newly discovered paths or reinstated paths.

reservation_key <reservation key>

For example:

multipaths {
multipath {
wwid XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
alias yellow
reservation_key 0x123abc
}
}

For information about setting persistent reservations, see Section 7.3.5, “Linux mpathpersist(8) Utility”.

hardware_handler.

Four SCSI hardware handlers were added in the SCSI layer that can be used with DM-Multipath:
scsi_dh_alua
scsi_dh_rdac
scsi_dh_hp_sw
scsi_dh_emc

These handlers are modules created under the SCSI directory in the Linux kernel. Previously, the hardware handler in the Device Mapper layer was used.

Add the modules to the initrd image, then specify them in the /etc/multipath.conf file as hardware handler types alua, rdac, hp_sw, and emc. For information about adding the device drivers to the initrd image, see Section 7.4.3, “Configuring the Device Drivers in initrd for Multipathing ”.

Besides changes in the multipathd handeling, I'd suggest to read through the whole document for other bits that might be relevant.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2322621 wrote:
Also make sure to have a read through this : http://webapp5.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/SuSe-Dokumentation/manual/sles-manuals_en/storwhatsnew.html#b15ds08e

There have been changes to SLES 11 SP3 multipath (changed/added options as also ones that have been replaced and should not be included in the multipath.conf anymore).

Besides changes in the multipathd handeling, I'd suggest to read through the whole document for other bits that might be relevant.

Cheers,
Willem

Thank you for your Tipp.

I have to stick on SLES11SP2 because DataCore SAN didn't support SLES11SP3 yet officially.

Do you use Datacore V9 with SLES11SP3?

I'm not sure about do use that Kernel/Multipath Version when no support is given.

Regards
Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

reiss;2322718 wrote:
Thank you for your Tipp.

I have to stick on SLES11SP2 because DataCore SAN didn't support SLES11SP3 yet officially.

Do you use Datacore V9 with SLES11SP3?

I'm not sure about do use that Kernel/Multipath Version when no support is given.

Regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately I don't have experiences with Datacore. I mostly work with Equallogic and EMC based SAN storage.

As far as differences between SLES 11 SP2 and SLES 11 SP3 in regard to kernel components and specifically iSCSI and multipath handling... my personal experience is that there is not that much difference between the two (SP2 vs SP3) that would really cause problems. If you can start testing it an a controlled/contained/not production critical part of you environment, you could consider that.

That does however not say that could not be a potential issue, and if vendor support is essential for you and (more importantly) the company... I'd stick with SLES 11 SP2 for now, until that time that Datacore will commit to supporting SLES 11 SP3. Especially if there are not that many gains in using SLES 11 SP3 over SLES 11 SP2, which depends somewhat on what you are using the server for).

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, thank you.

those were my thoughts..

Regards
Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.