srinivaskv Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

user is unable to change password from OES client

We have SLES 11 SP4 + OES 2015 SP1 and client on windows is Client for Open Enterprise Server 2 SP4 (IR10). When the users goes to change his password on Windows 10 workstation, he is seeing an error message
" The new password fails policy on FASTENERS
NMAS:cryptographic service failure"
But I am able to change password from iManager Workstation client from Windows for any user.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: user is unable to change password from OES client

First thing to check would obviously be to check whether the desired password really matches the policy. While you shouldn't see the "NMAS:cryptographic service failure" part in this case it's still possible.
Next you might want to let the user login to iManager and try to change his password from there. If that works you're likely facing a pure client-side issue such has messed-up nici and / or nmas binaries or invalid rights on the user's nici directory.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mathias,

Yes, the user's password can be changed from iManager client. Also, I noticed that user's password can be changed from an old version of Novell Client 4.91 SP5 running on Windows server 2003 without any issues. But from the newer clients from newer windows OSes password change is not possible. Also another observation is that - changing password for a user on a newly installed Novell server is working from my computer's novell client.
Something strange is happening here. Any help here is very much appreciated.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You might want to check your tree keys according to
https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=3092072

Other than that, i'd still suspect a pure client issue (i.e.: an issue with the configuration of the client OS). If ever possible, install a vanilla W7 client from scratch (no image, domain, no dillydally), install a current OES client WITH NICI and NMAS, login locally as THE administrator, login to your tree as the target user and try again.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Ok. I followed the article https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=3092072# to check the keys on the servers. Please see attached files for results.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Have you by chance recently introduce an OES 2018 Server in your tree?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.

Hi Rosen,

Yes. You are right. I was trying few things. I installed oes 2018 server as replication server under exising tree. But few things did not work well. I had problems during configuration. So I removed the OES 2018 from the ring and installed OES2015 SP1 OS on the server and configured it as replication server under the existing tree. Everythings worked well for a few days. Suddenly I saw change password problem in Primary server. But logging into the secondard server from Windows OES client would allow password change. Even this, after few days started give the password change error.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

In this case, please try the latest OES Client, IR12. If I'm right the problem should go away with that client.

CU,

Massimo

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Hi Massimo,

I found something that makes it work. If I change the setting in OES client -> Advanced Login->Nmas Authentication to Off, then I am able to change the password successfully. Let me know what is the meaning of this.

Thanks

Srinivas

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Don't do this please. It's expected that this works, but it's a *really* ugly workaround.

Did you try IR12 like I asked you? Did it help?

@srinivaskv wrote:

Hi Massimo,

I found something that makes it work. If I change the setting in OES client -> Advanced Login->Nmas Authentication to Off, then I am able to change the password successfully. Let me know what is the meaning of this.

Thanks

Srinivas

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Hi Massimo,    

Sorry I did not mention that I have already upgraded to IR12 - the client properties shows "Client for Open Enterprise Server 2 SP4 (IR12)". Even with IR12 I was getting the "NMAS: cryptographic service failure" error.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.