Highlighted
Paul Szeto Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DSI data collection of multi-thread Java program data on WIN2K MWA client

HI THERE, hope somebody can help me with this problem -

Summary of the problem: I have a Java program that is piping "|" output data to DSI data collection on a WIN2K server. I start the program at the DOS command line, and as long as I keep the session going, data collection would continue. However, the collection would stop after the I close the starting session or log off. Question: How can I keep it running either via the MWA DSI persistent Data Collection option, or other tools on WIN2K/DOS?

Detail Description: I have a Java program that would process certain data and output them to stdout in four columns. DSI is perfect to collect, analyze and display (via perfview) these data. The following is the DSI config. file on MWA for persistent data collection:

DATAFEED=d:\java1.3\bin\java -cp d:\java1.3\esmart\DSI\AlphaQ ReadFile
LOGFILE=d:\java1.3\esmart\DSI\AlphaQ\ALPHAQLOG
CLASS=ALPHAQ
;

Following the example in HP MWA DSI Guide and with the help of HP Expert Center, I was able to keep a simple "PING" program persistent while piping data to DSI even after I log off. These are the DSI config. file definition on MWA:

DATAFEED=ping -t "hostname"
LOGFILE=d:\progra~1\rpmtools\data\datafiles\PING\PINGLOG
CLASS=SYS_RESPONSE
DSIPARMS=-f d:\progra~1\rpmtools\data\datafiles\ping\ping.fmt
;

The ping example is from HP MWA DSI guide. There are some errors in the guide which were reported to the Expert Center. But it works seamlessly after the errors are corrected. I don't have to manually start the ping program. MWA would start it for me with the Agent software, and keep it running persistently.

However, when I plug in my Java program, MWA failed to start it up. I could start it manually at the DOS command line but the data collection would stop after the session is closed.

I am not sure if it's because Java's multi-thread nature, or other reasons. But when I test it again with a simple single thread Java program, MWA is able to keep the DSI data collection persistent. So I assume that was the issue.

It could be a limitation of MWA/DSI. If so, then maybe some HP gurus could let me know.

Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

PPS
Live life well
Tags (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.